• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ip forwarding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miknow

I have DSL 1.5mbps download/ 384kpbs upload and have 2 computer hooked up on a 5-port linksys switch. My first comp is for my use the second is for a game server but my problem is my friends cant get into my server. People said it was because im not giving information back to them(ip forwarding) I think. Well how can i get this server work

Miknow said:
I have DSL 1.5mbps download/ 384kpbs upload and have 2 computer hooked up on a 5-port linksys switch. My first comp is for my use the second is for a game server but my problem is my friends cant get into my server. People said it was because im not giving information back to them(ip forwarding) I think. Well how can i get this server work

Actually, its the other way around. You would need a router that could forward packets to the game server. The router would have to have a valid IP address and be able to allow the ports for the games you run. What I did with my server was this, add two NICS into the server, run the DSL into that box then out the other NIC to the hub then to the other machines. The one box will have a valid IP.

From the amount of bandwidth you have for DSL I would venture a guess that you may be on a business access? Possibly you have more then one IP that you can use for your systems from your provider.

Ok. You need to go into the setup of your router. You need to go to the IP forwarding section. You need to setup a route to go from the router to the IP of the game server using UDP protocol. You also need to know the ports of the game that will be used and set a route up for each individual port.

Back