• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only +6 mhz with VGA silencer? wtf man.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got a 9800AIWpro. I got it up to 410/365 on stock cooling. I want a better cooler but don't know what will fit, withe tv tuner being in the way on the 9800aiw...

How are you guys getting 30 mhz higher memory with the vga silencer?

It doesn't touch the memory. Are you using atitool or are you just running 3dmark03 and looking for dots and/or artifacts?

Methodx said:
So do you guys think I just got a bum video card that can't oc anymore?

If you want more out of that card you will have to follow these steps on this link...hope you have some good soldering skills or know someone that does...

This is going to be your only hope on getting a good OC out of it...

MetalStorm said:
Maybe if you had read my post you would have known that already.

I read your post, retard. I know it's hard for you to believe, but you aren't the only person in these forums. I was asking for a general consensus from the GROUP.

Methodx said:

I read your post, retard. I know it's hard for you to believe, but you aren't the only person in these forums. I was asking for a general consensus from the GROUP.

Getting a bit tetchy aren’t we? I’m glad you read my post, however if you don’t want to listen to it then, well that’s your problem as I have something known as “experience”, your choice.

If you follow the thread in www.rage3d.com you find that the 9800 pro made last year or so were better core overclocker. They usually had samsung memory. But since the beginning of this year they improve their Fab process and stop making the ordinary 9800 non pro. Most of the 9800 pro now have hynix memory which is good memory and goes beyond the 350 rating and tops out around 390. The increase you think other are seeing in memory is probably the due to the lifts in restriction of the memory by the core with the silencer on it. With the current cores it a different story . Since the lowest rated 9800 is now the pro, any core that passed the rated 370 goes into manufacture . There is no place else for them to go. The chance of getting a real good core has gotten slim . The odds of getting a bad core has increase probably to more than 50 %. The only solution is return the one you have or sell it on ebay. Don't buy on ebay because that where everyone dumps their bad ones. You will probably have to buy 3 9800pro, test them keep the good one and dump the rest. There is no guarantee with overclocking. Once you a good one put the VGA silencer on it and watch it go. Don't blame the cooler.

Back