• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only +6 mhz with VGA silencer? wtf man.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methodx

I have a 9800 pro. It was running at 384.5 before the vga silencer (found with ati tool). After, installing the VGA silencer, atitool only went up to 391.75. Thats only a 6 mhz gain.

I know there HAS to be something I'm doing wrong because with a cooler that good, I should easily be able to hit 400 mhz on my core. Can anybody help?

Why not try putting the speeds up manually instead of using ati tool and testing for stability. Im under the impression that ati tool clocks up by itself, you could try higher manually if I am correct on my assumption.

I thought about trying that too. The problem is, everyone else with the 9800 pro and vga silencer easily go above 400 mhz with atitool...so it couldnt be the software. Unless I have it configured wrong.

is your gpu core level with the gpu shim? maybe there isn't proper contact between the core and the silencer....

also note that most ppl don't artifact check with atitool, a program which detects artifacts that are invisible to the eye, i wouldn't be surprised if ppl have to downclock their cards 20 or more to make it pass a 1.5hour atitool artifact scan

i'm not too pleased with the silencer myself, i got a measily 10mhz but quite posible that my core is maxed out, i can't say until i try out another cooler....

Sadly I found out that I maxed my core out. I tried bolting my SK7 to my Radeon, but no avail. No gains in OCing. Voltmodding here I come!

did u use quality tim and not that cheapo stuff that came with it? and again, check the shim. 9800 shims make good contact, unlike the 9700s, but maybe you had a bad mount.

i also but a VGA silencer about 4 months ago on my 9700 and i can still only overclock the core to 389mhz before it crashes was same with the stock cooler

Well overlclocking your core to 389 is pretty good on a 9700, I can barely get that on my 9800pro!

Yes, I used as5 compound which I've used on my cpu in the past.

Maybe I don't have the silencer sitting down all the way on the gpu? But then if that's the case it seems like I wouldnt be able to get to 391 mhz.

Are there any settings on the 9800 pro that maybe are affecting my overclock this badly? Like maybe I need to set it from "quality" to "performance" or something?

You probably have the "not so good overclocking core" like I did. My 9800 pro only went to 400 using that atitool . But I found that there were artifacts using rthdrib demo http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ that only went away when I downrate to 390 . With the VGA silencer I just only barely got it to xt speed 412 without artifacts using the default driver (4.2) setting. I didn't have to remove my shim; I just checked with a good staight edge to be sure there was no seating interference.

yeah lay a stright edge across the sim and look to c if it is even with the core the hole way across using ur eye. If it ain't u can pop it off with a razor at all 4 coreners if u wish.

im guessing some ppl are lucky because i could only gain 11mhz on my rd9800np after i got the vga cooler my memory went up a bit too cuz less heat coming from the gpu to the ram.

yes that's the shim

it prevents the gpu from cracking cause the gpu will never bear all the pressure you apply to it...

on most 9700s the shim was higher than the core so the heatsink would never touch the core itself meaning it wouldn't transfer heat to the core so well...

just check and see if your core is lower than the shim, do this by placing something flat like a credit card across the cpu core/shim and see if any light gets trhough between the cc and the core

That is correct. The shim is that silver square that goes is around the outside of the core. It is quite simple to remove. Simply take a razorblade, and gently begin to rock the blade back and forth until it starts to penetrate the shim from the paste that holds it on. Do this until you get enough of the shim up so that you can just pull it off. If the blade isnt going in very easily, simply stick the card in the freezer in a plastic bag for 10-15 minutes. That should make it a bit easier for the razorblade.

Just remember to use patience when removing the shim. One slip could easily equal a dead card.

weird man, i got my VGA Silencer and i went from 400 Core 350 memory with stock cooling to 441 core 370 memory so far. on my radeon 9800 pro. hows the cooling in your case? that was also an issue. got me a new case, it sounds like a vaccum cleaner...but hey...nice air flow. :D

I reach core speed of 420 and memory speed of 380 on the stock 9800p HSF with some added air cooling (case fans directed at the card). I guess it depends on the card.

jcsurg said:
You probably have the "not so good overclocking core" like I did. My 9800 pro only went to 400 using that atitool . But I found that there were artifacts using rthdrib demo http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ that only went away when I downrate to 390 . With the VGA silencer I just only barely got it to xt speed 412 without artifacts using the default driver (4.2) setting. I didn't have to remove my shim; I just checked with a good staight edge to be sure there was no seating interference.

OMG, someone finally realised what the problem was... If you haven't noticed already, Overclocks are NOT guaranteed, some things overclock a lot, some a little, there is an average range, but it looks like yours falls a little short of that, its just luck of the draw.

When I first received my VGA silencer, I was able to OC to 450mhz(which was dissapointing since that's what my old Zalman heat pipe could do). Then after removing the shim and lapping (!!!!!!!!) the VHA silencer, I was able to hit 480mhz no artifacts. Lesson of the story: LAP the vga silencer.

Back