• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge Waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[DAD]MeR|iN

anyone have any suggestions on northbridge waterblocks?? I was looking at the Dtek FSB block or the Dangerden Z-chip... any other suggestions(for 1/2 ID). thanks a ton!

I would go with the Swiftech NB block and use 1/2 ID barb adapters. The swiftech NB block is about the lowest flow restriction (no pins, channels, etc.) with an open chamber and the NB doesn't produce that much heat anyway. Think minimum flow resistance for the NB.

I second the Swiftech MCW20. I'm using one myself, and it's a very high quality, low restriction block.

I'm using a Z-Chip, and I can't really complain. For a northbridge waterblock I would just get whatever is least expensive for you. Any of the three you mentioned will do a fine job :).

I do like the Dangerden Z block but the Swiftech does not put as much stress on the Pentium boards Hooks mounted on motherboard. By design the Swiftech is better in that respect.

Damn Liquid... will you please stop showing off that sweet-*** block until it's released?
BTW I like my z-chip a lot. I can't understand how people think it's restrictive either...

jamesavery22 said:
you guys think a mcw50, a mcw20, and two mcw5002s would be too much for a MCP600?

I think that would make Swiftech very happy! :D

The mcp600 would drive the blocks fine unless you're trying to cool the cpu dies to room temperature at a 50% overclock in the middle of a heatwave. :)

Make sure you get a large enough radiator. That will be the determining factor in how well this setup would work. If it can use 2 (or more) 120mm fans, that's a good start. If it uses 80mm fans, don't waste your time or money.

gungeek said:
I would go with the Swiftech NB block and use 1/2 ID barb adapters. The swiftech NB block is about the lowest flow restriction (no pins, channels, etc.) with an open chamber and the NB doesn't produce that much heat anyway. Think minimum flow resistance for the NB.

I'm confused on the barbs for the Swiftech since I'm interested as well plus the GPU block. Do you take out the little fitting inside and then insert the barb or is it block, 3/8" ID tube, then fitting/barb, then 1/2" ID tube...

I'd go for the Swiftech one as well...one of the lowest restriction blocks out there just like gungeek said.

Also unless you want to overclock that FSB like crazy then I would suggest on holding off the NB block...a GPU puts out a lot more heat than the NB

not trying to deter your choice or anything but adding a block just adds to the resistance and heat unless you gonna use it to its max potential since in mild OC situations it's not really needed...my opinion tho...take with a grain of salt :)

If you're *really* concerned about flow and having aluminum in your loop, get a Z-chip and remove the "Z" part with a Dremel. Then you have a block with the flow ability of the Swiftech, no aluminum, and native 1/2" barbs.

Ive been building a database of waterblocks and my findings have led me to chose the Swiftech over the Z-Chip. The main reason is yes, the Swiftech has the lowest flow resistance (reccomend getting 1/2" adapters).

As far as aluminum goes its adonized so you dont need to worry about galvanic corrosion, not to mention you should be running some sort of coolant anyway to lessen overall corrosion.

I also like the Swiftech MCW20 a lot because it has a very professional look and feel, not to mention its lapped to a mirror finish. They can be had pretty cheap at SidewinderComputers.com

Back