• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

****! My agp slot is broken!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alice

I finally got my computers back (My foster parents took them away because I got bad grades). My "good" computer was equipped with a geforce4 mx420 pci, until I sold it thinking I would get a nice agp card. I never bought the new card, so I was stuck with some random agp card with 32Mb ram. So I shove it in and I get the beep that means I have no video. Try some other cards and they don't work either. Look into the slot and one of the pins is bent. Bend it back and it disappears. Now I'm just ****ed. My soldering isn't so great, so I don't want to attempt to fix it myself, and I'm not going to waste money getting it repaired as I'm saving for a new computer. What the hell am I going to do?!?! Any suggestions?

At this point all you can do is get a pci card or replace the MB. I would replace the MB myself.

I would replace it, but it's kinda hard to find tualatin motherboards. Not to mention I paid $70 for this damn thing. I would just upgrade to a nice new motherboard and processor, but my tualatin celeron is coming in the mail soon and I would like to play with it for a while first. I don't like the idea of having broken parts on my motherboard. If it didn't have agp, I wouldn't feel as bad. This just sucks. All I want to do is ***** about it, but no one cares. No one understands that this is my life.

Can't RMA it. Soyo seems to have crappy warranties. I couldn't even return it before the waranty was up. Sucks huh? I think i'm going to have a friend replace the slot. Are the slots different for different speeds? Can one buy a slot by itself from somewhere?

Lets clear this up real quick: I didn't break it, that's how it was when I bought it. I just never noticed that the agp was broken because I didn't have an agp card.

900000? really???

Re: Re: ****! My agp slot is broken!

greenman100 said:

I hate when motherboards bend their own pins.

arent you being just a little bit rude? some fedex guy probably decided to play football with the box(they seem to do it a lot)

Yeah, I bent it back. Back to where it was supposed to be! But the more I look at it, it seems that the pin I bent back is fine, I think some other pin is missing. The first pin was bent when I got it, and I'm going to assume that the other pin was missing when I got it. Now help me fix it or at least be nice.

That appears to be agp 2x. Will the slot work the same? I'm going to go to the Wierd Stuff Warehouse to find the slot probably, but I need to know if a 2x slot will work with 4x cards.

I dont think there is any difference in the slots just the stuff that drives them. I have an AGP slot on a MB that is 1X,2X,4X,8X compatable....

Goodluck on the soldering. It will take a long time.

Like greenman100 says swapping from another (cheap or dead) board is probably your best bet. I know I have a few dead boards around, so if you don't have one, maybe someone you know does. If not, you might be able to get one on the forums, maybe from the classifieds. The most important thing is to be very careful not to damage anything else on your board while fixing the problem. My soldring skills are fairly poor, so if it was me, I'd get a PCI graphics card. On the other hand, I don't do much gaming.

Is it possible that the missing pin is still there but bent backwards or to the side, out of site?

have you tried asking soyo if they'll RMA it? just because the warrenty is up doesnt mean they wont take it back, i personally have never delt with soyo but alot of companies are nice about things like this.

It may not even be that there is anything wrong with the AGP slot. You were using a PCI video card, and then tried to go to an AGP one without changing your BIOS setting.

You can boot your computer up all day long, with 40 different AGP slots and 25 million other AGP cards, and you'll still get a beep, if you didn't change the setting in the bios from PCI to AGP.

Its been a few months since you've checked this thread, so hopefully you figured this out by now.

I believe the bios setting is for when you have multiple cards in a system, and then the system wants to know if you want o use the PCI or the AGP card as the primary adapter. This is useful if you try to flash the bios on your AGP card and have a problem. You can just stick in a PCI card, and boot up using that. Then, flash your AGP card. On the other hand, I could be wrong.

have you acctually checked your AGP graphics card is compatible with the AGP settings on your motherboard? since old motherboards and new graphics card dont work together and stuff due to different voltages. resetting the cmos would be a good ideal too.

and try your agp card on a friends computer. just boot with it and hit f8 so windows doesnt start with it.

oh and if ur mobo is broken buy a new one... or rma the old one. I dont think you will be able to solder an agp board if you have no soldering skill... I just burn myself every time I try...

most if not all 8x AGP cards will downclock themselves to 2x or 4x (like mine does) so I don't think thats a problem. The voltages change from .8v to 1.5v automatically.

Back