• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9800 Pro chkdsk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mazir

Registered
Hello all,

I purchased a Sapphire 9800 Pro yesterday. I uninstalled my old drivers, shut down the machine, installed the new vid card and powered on. I then installed the latest Catalyst drivers. Since then every time I reboot my machine, it runs chkdsk on some of the hard drives.
This has never been an issue before and am wondering if anyone has some info about this, and a possible solution.

Thanks.

Is your card's power cable on the same lead as your hard drive? If it is, it might be sapping power enough to cause errors. Try putting the 9800 on it's own lead by itself (even if this means unplugging optical drives or fans for testing purposes).

If your 9800 is currently installed on a different lead, and you still get problems, you might have an underpowered PSU. At the very least unplug *everything* except the hard drive, and video card and see if things improve.

Thanks for the reply.
This makes a lot of sense.
I tried putting the vid card on a separate lead, but I still get the chkdsk.
I then checked my PSU (Anter TruePower 450) voltages and noticed that the 5v rail is at 4.56.
Maybe this is the problem?

that voltage is rather low but I think the 4 pin adaperts use 12V and thats what you should look out for......

what graphics card did u have before. try doing a fresh install of windows

I had Geforce3 before hand.

I have the following in my comp:

MB: GigaByte 7vrx
Ram: 512 mb
CPU: Athlon XP 1600+ (Overclocked to 2000+)
HD: One Western Digital 800JB
One IBM 60 GB HD
CDRW: Liteon 48 24 48
Creative Audigy, PCI lan card
Sapphire 9800 Pro vid card.
2 case fans.

The 4 pin adapters can use 12, 7 or 5 v. I'm not sure what his card is pulling.
Also I measured the voltage with a voltmeter and got 4.56 also.

It's actually a 480w TruePower, I just checked.

I actually have 5 case funs running, but the voltage I measured was 4.56 even with a few of them detached. Most of the fans were at 5v, so I was afraid they were taking the juice.

Exact same thing happened to me. I dunno wtf caused it. However, you need to go to your registry to end that damned cycle.

Just go here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

Delete everything in that entry and you should be fine :cool:

It isn't your hd not getting powre or your PSU being weak. Just some annoyance that has happened to me and a lot of other people.

pduan87 thank you very much.
You solved this annoying problem. I was thinking about switching out my psu you saved me a lot of time, and probably money.

Thanks again.

Back