• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600se

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrBugs

Registered
I'm thinking of getting a few of these cards, is there any problems/isues with these cards?

Thanks everyone

Apart from the fact that they
  • Suck
  • Are crippled versions of a mid-end core
  • Suck, again

They work fine. Unless you can get them for dirt cheap, go with 9600 non-pros. 9600SEs usually have crippled clockspeeds, low speed RAM and a 64-bit bus, half of what it should be.

yes, i agree with leetmeep the 9600's core is not that great to begin with, and the se series is jsut a crippled version, so when u think about it, its a crippled version of a card that isnt good to begin with

if u want a better card, the powercolor 9800se at newegg is only around 150 bucks (the one with 256 bit memory) and a lot of ppl have successfully soft-modded it to a 9800 pro (unlocking the 4 pipelines)

poor card

Thanks for the heads up guys, do you think it would be fine for a 4 and 5 year old that runs FPS games but nothing more than 800x600res?

Brent

as i said before, why spend that money for a really crippled card when u can spend just a bit more for 8 possible pipelines and 256-bit memory?

but if all thats ur gonna do, its fine, its jsut that it will still be a rip-off, if all it's running is fps's at 800x600, then a ti4200 should suit u fine, not to mention perform much better

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=99&submit=Go&description=ti4200

some newegg ti4200 refurbs

Last edited:
I see the light!

I'm going to take them back on Monday and get the 9800se. It is 100.00 more but but every bit worth it for my boys.

Thanks
Brent

Re: I see the light!

MrBugs said:
I'm going to take them back on Monday and get the 9800se. It is 100.00 more but but every bit worth it for my boys.

Thanks
Brent

Adopt me.

9800se ?

How do I tell if I have the 256bit version of the 9800se?

Brent

oh wonderful

I did want to keep one 9600se for the wife, but I was only able to get 1 out of 4 working with the DFII400-AL MB. With this card in the MB it will not post? any suggustions? besides buying different cards.

Thanks
Brent

Re: 9800se ?

MrBugs said:

Brent

at newegg, they are selling the 256-bit version of the 9800se, u just have to look for it, its made by powercolor

8x AGP and no post.

It seems I'm not the only one having problems with video cards making the computer not post.
WOW it looks like this is a big issue, I wonder how long it will take the manufactures to sort it all out.

Brent

8500le vs 9600se

8500le gets stomped alone in quality settings, & core speed, and if you know how to tweak your ram cooling you can actually beat it in DX8.1 games, 9600se runs DX8.1 games real good, and it has advantages or disadvantages to some with a slow cpu of running DX9 slow. I have a 3Ghz CPU that makes the difference. Compared to the gfx quality of anything below 9500 Pro or below on a 3Ghz or above cpu I'll take the 9600se, dont knock it till you tried it... Its basically a radeon 9800 gfx wise on a 9200 pro...

Re: 9800se ?

MrBugs said:

Brent

The 256bit versions generally have an "L" shaped memory configuration. How much are you looking at paying for the 9800se? There might be better options actually.

i had a 9600 pro.

the memory chips aren't very durable.

i tore some of them in half.

by accident.

so if your kids are into chewing gfx cards, DON"T get the powercolor9600pro

$.02

Back