• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Naming of switches...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Ok, so I need a rocker switch. it basically is going to need 2 positions and be able to have 5 wires attached. What kind of switch wold that be? How do you determine names of switches?
Thanks.

Its for an Xbox mod . I need to be able to hook up "something" and then the 4 molex connectors for a hard drive. I just wanted to know because this has always bugged me. Might be used in a comp for a smilar purpose. It could be of good use for those with extra sensative info. Have a switch for whether or not the HDD is on- that way it can only be accessed when it has to be.

Other guy- nice site- it has been bookmarked :)

So if I got a switch with 3 positions, would it be a 5P3T or a 5PTT? Is that how it works?
EDIT: Doh, stupid me, it Isnt going to be an off switch, but rather a "toggle" switch to switch what is getting power. I believe the correct switch I would need is a Dual On-On. I guess I need a DPDT with 6 (I miscounted how many I need) things to toggle. What would this be?
Thanks.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hang on, Im gonna go draw a circuit for what I am trying to do...

Ok here it is:
circuit_1.jpg

As I was drawing it, I realized a more efficient way of doing it, so infact only 4 things will need to be toggled. Basically, I need to be able to choose which is getting power.

Im confused now lol.

Ok, that looks like the switch I need. It slides, so it connects 4 of the wires and does not connect the 4 on the other side and vice a versa.

Now, what does the "4 devices" mean?
Thanks.

Think I tried something like this some time ago. Here. Not sure if its any help, but it has a few links in it that may be of some help.

Back