• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a new book, recomendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bert202

How you all doing?

I'm looking for some new reading material. I'm tired of dry facts about networking and A+. I was thinking maybe web design or maybe graphic design, like photoshop or something. Or I was also looking at "Hacking: The art of Exploitation" or "The Art of Deception." Anyone read either of those? Basicly any computer book that is a good read. If its good and is only dry facts go ahead and stick it in here too, any computer related topic.
Thanks guys (and gals). :)

must it be a Computer book?

A brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings was a fantastic read when I was a young teen ager,

as was Isaac Asimov "Beginnings" which is a book that looks at just that, the Beginnings of everything starting with Modernday and moving back in time

Two books worth reading for insight into how we got where we are today in computer terms, both written very well and not just dry facts...
Hackers By Stephen Levy
The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder.

Those books look enteresting. They seemed all right around 10bucks too so i could get more than one. the "Hackers" book looked like a very good read and most of the Isaac Asimov books looked good. I think i'll get a couple of books for spring break.

How about programing, i think i may try learning C++. I've looked around and found some tutorials that look good but there sure is a lot out there.

For Programming if you want books, definatly look into the "Bible" series

I have "the C# Bible" and it was an Excelent read, I also have PHP &MySQL for Dummies, not quite as advanced as the "Bible series" but is a quick reference book, which is what it is intened to be

About those Bible programming books...they're more of a reference than something that you read through.

One of my favorite books is an encyclopidea from 1988 on electronics. Its amazing how old it is, but it still covers almost everything in modern electronics.

About hacking books. The "Hacking" books are mostly crap. Just tells you how to run programs that ping a computer mostly. IF your interested in networking, then look into learning the basics....like TCP/IP and such, then once your familiar with all the basics you'll know where to go from there.

I've learned that the better the book, the more expensive it is, but that's just if its a fairly new, and currently used book.

A couple of my favorite books on computers especially their history and such. Fire in the Valley which was what the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley was based off of is fantastic about the birth of the personal computer. Hard Drive is probably the best book on Gates and Microsoft and is a good read as well. Lets see what else computerish is a good read. Apple: The Inside Story of Intrigue, Egomania, and Business Blunders is an excellent story on Apple up to 1998 or so and is interesting.

Back