120mm fan on Volcano 12

Who has done this, I am looking towards modding this thing so that it can accept 92mm fans, because of the tornado.

My temps here are a bit high so I wanted them to drop a bit before overclocking.

My buddy has a V12, and the bottom of it wasn't exactly a mirror. Lapping it will help a lot.

As far as the fans go, you can just use a regular 80-92 or 80-120 mm fan adapter, or build your own. You could even build an adapter to channel the air from 2 fans into the heatsink

I would use the 80-120mm fan adapter. Make sure to lap it, and post your temps (case, cpu (load and idle) and ambient temp)
    "Unlike Windows, Linux tries to happily coexist with other OS's. It's not like Windows which will go out of its way to break other installs." MRD
    "On the second day of the seventh month, in the third year of the new milenium, Wedo looked down and saw new pow-ah join team 32, and it was good." Wedo
    "I switch Oses like most people change pants. :)" rogerdugans
    "Always be sure to flash your bios during lightning storms!" MRD

Please Fold for team 32!
    portage > apt > source > rpm > windows update
    Gautam is a water buffalo

But, in theory, wont the adaptor force the fan because the hole will be smaller? Or will the air get more pressure and because of it make a more effective cooling.

I dont know the answer, but I dont think the difference would be noticable.
    "Unlike Windows, Linux tries to happily coexist with other OS's. It's not like Windows which will go out of its way to break other installs." MRD
    "On the second day of the seventh month, in the third year of the new milenium, Wedo looked down and saw new pow-ah join team 32, and it was good." Wedo

Please Fold for team 32!

Registered
    Hey where do you get that fan adapter? I was thinking also of replacing my stock fans on my athlon MP 2600+ processors and going with some larger fans.

http://www.xoxide.com/fanadaptors.html there, with a little or no modding those should work

Please Fold for team 32!

uh....guys teh adaptor actually doesnt work well.

What i mean is that you if you use a 120mm without the adaptor you should have better performance.

I advise against going to 120mmm for CPU HS. Because most of 120mm has bigger dead spot and if you use adaptor you will have air force backward. You can test it yourself, put an adaptor on then put you hand on top of the fan you will see air got pushed back.

92mm is the optimal. You can get the same dead spot size, and shouldnt need an adaptor. (adaptor for 92mm to 80mm should be ok, but 120mm to 80mm is a BIG NO )
    My Heatware

Verified paypal

Registered
    Originally posted by SewerBeing
    http://www.xoxide.com/fanadaptors.html there, with a little or no modding those should work
    Did you say those 60mm to 80mm adapters show work for my athlon mp 2600+ heatsinks? Whats the stock size fan anyways? Those adapters should bolt right on with no problem right?

hey whats your current temps on a 3000+. I was reaching 45deg load with a 2600+ @ 2300mhz just wonderin for reference.
    AMD 940 AM2
    ASUS M3A32
    OCZ 4GB DDR2 1066
    SAPPHIRE 4850
    500GB Seagate Barracude
    320GB Seagate Barracuda 16MB Cache
    Viewing on 20.1" Belinea LCD
    ANTEC 1000AMG :clap:

The edge there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know were it is are the ones who have gone over. Hunter S Thompson

I wouldn't change the fan on a V12. It already has a very nice fan. If you want to get cooler, do what others said and lap the heatsink. You might also consider more case fans and/or a duct.

Originally posted by oray777

Did you say those 60mm to 80mm adapters show work for my athlon mp 2600+ heatsinks? Whats the stock size fan anyways? Those adapters should bolt right on with no problem right?
    is it the stock heatsink? then yes, it should work, I have never tried it though.

Please Fold for team 32!

Originally posted by oray777

I wouldn't bother with this. If you are already buying a bigger fan and an adapter, for just a little more (or the same depending on which one you get) you can get a whole new heatsink. You won't ever get really good cooling with the stock heatsink, it's too small.

Hey BRIMCV, right now around 46c idle, 54c full load in prime95, 50c playing a hard 3d game. I know this are kinda high, but the main problem is my room temp which in these middle-summer days is around 33c in the days, 30c in the nights, or perhaps more because of the little flow of cold air that comes from the window.

This is at stock voltage (1.625v) and stock speeds (166x13).

Registered
    these stock heatsinks that came wth my cpu's is pretty big. Anyways i switched my old cpu fans which are coolermaster. They run at 6000rpm. Didn't realize they were that strong. I dropped my temps from 41 C/ 38C to 36 C/ 35 C degress respectively. What do you think? anyone know where to get longer screws these are a little too small and i had to mod it a little bit for the fans to fit.