• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm fan on Volcano 12

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ricmm

Who has done this, I am looking towards modding this thing so that it can accept 92mm fans, because of the tornado.

My temps here are a bit high so I wanted them to drop a bit before overclocking.

My buddy has a V12, and the bottom of it wasn't exactly a mirror. Lapping it will help a lot.

As far as the fans go, you can just use a regular 80-92 or 80-120 mm fan adapter, or build your own. You could even build an adapter to channel the air from 2 fans into the heatsink:)

But, in theory, wont the adaptor force the fan because the hole will be smaller? Or will the air get more pressure and because of it make a more effective cooling.

Hey where do you get that fan adapter? I was thinking also of replacing my stock fans on my athlon MP 2600+ processors and going with some larger fans.

uh....guys teh adaptor actually doesnt work well.

What i mean is that you if you use a 120mm without the adaptor you should have better performance.

I advise against going to 120mmm for CPU HS. Because most of 120mm has bigger dead spot and if you use adaptor you will have air force backward. You can test it yourself, put an adaptor on then put you hand on top of the fan you will see air got pushed back.

92mm is the optimal. You can get the same dead spot size, and shouldnt need an adaptor. (adaptor for 92mm to 80mm should be ok, but 120mm to 80mm is a BIG NO )

I wouldn't change the fan on a V12. It already has a very nice fan. If you want to get cooler, do what others said and lap the heatsink. You might also consider more case fans and/or a duct.

oray777 said:

Did you say those 60mm to 80mm adapters show work for my athlon mp 2600+ heatsinks? Whats the stock size fan anyways? Those adapters should bolt right on with no problem right?

I wouldn't bother with this. If you are already buying a bigger fan and an adapter, for just a little more (or the same depending on which one you get) you can get a whole new heatsink. You won't ever get really good cooling with the stock heatsink, it's too small.

Hey BRIMCV, right now around 46c idle, 54c full load in prime95, 50c playing a hard 3d game. I know this are kinda high, but the main problem is my room temp which in these middle-summer days is around 33c in the days, 30c in the nights, or perhaps more because of the little flow of cold air that comes from the window.

This is at stock voltage (1.625v) and stock speeds (166x13).

these stock heatsinks that came wth my cpu's is pretty big. Anyways i switched my old cpu fans which are coolermaster. They run at 6000rpm. Didn't realize they were that strong. I dropped my temps from 41 C/ 38C to 36 C/ 35 C degress respectively. What do you think? anyone know where to get longer screws these are a little too small and i had to mod it a little bit for the fans to fit.

Back