• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use Food Colouring?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gentleman

I current setup has distilled water and waterwetter running in clear hose. They are begining to turn pink and looks kinda sissy. I was wondering if I can use food coloring to dye my coolant. Would the food coloring break down due to the waterwetter and clump together? I have all copper WB and HC. Or can you suggest another cheap alternative to food coloring.

Thx

Why not food coloring? I can't think of any ill effects it would have.

Highlighter pens would probably produce a nicer effect though.

Ok, so does anyone have experience with food coloring mixed with water wetter? That might be the only problem I can see.

I would use the highlighter ink, but I can't find a nice blue shade that I like.

Food coloring = possible buildup/clog, tube staining, & some brands do not maintain the same color over time?

What I remember from the past threads that brought up food coloring as a dye.

I used to run green food coloring, and had no probs. I didn't use WaterWetter at the time, so that's of little help.

I'd seen a post where some guy used food coloring on a different forum, and it looked to have clogged the jet tubes on his cascade. It was unclear as to which type of food coloring he used though. There is a paste type in a 1" tall jar used for cake decorating that contains solids and should NOT be used.

If you decide to try it, use the kind in the small plastic bottles that's alcohol based without solids in the bottom. Trying it out should only cost you a few ounces of WW, a quart of distilled water and some elbow grease cleaning it out if it should fail.
I really see no way of it destroying anything.

I'd think the water wetter itself is more harmfull to your system after seeing BillA's results.

i use red color and i have for about a month
it didn't stain my tubes much at all
but yes it did(very little)

and i don't see how it will clog since it is a very thin liquid

So from what I gather, there are different types of food coloring. Some of which are not appropriate for my setup. Is there any specific brand that is tried, tested, and true?

Thx

I am using a few drops of blue food color with my cooling setup and I am using Water Wetter and I haven't had any problems. I only used a few drops though, just enough to make the water a slight hue of blue instead of the pink that the Watter Wetter makes it. I use Tygon tubing as well.

Back