• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Pump electromagnetic Interference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coachphil5

I was curious if anybody has ever heard of emag. interfernce from an AC water pump in the computer case? I'm using a VIA Aqua 1300, and it sits right under my 9800 pro. Hopefully my sig will give you any other details you need. It seems like my overclock speeds are lower than people with comperable systems.

Thanks

Makes my cordless phone get interferance but thats the only prob ive really had. I've heard of people using professional ducting tape (the kind made of metal) to shield the pumps further.

They can cause random problems

http://www.linuxhardware.org/Features/03/09/08/1734248.shtml

As a final note on these components, we found that our pump produced a lot of electro-magnetic interference. This was most apparent in our shaky monitor and we even experienced some hard disk issues. We found the easiest solution to the problem to be to surround the pump with an old power supply cover. This fixed the problem very easily but we'll have to come up with a more elegant solution later.

coachphil5 said:
Additional dumb question, does plastic provide any sort of shielding from EMI?
I don't think so on a whole, but some may... But i didn't think Acrylic shielded, so I cleary know nothing.

It worked, I am using the top of an old power supply that covers most of the pump. I can boot into windows @ 300 5:4 or 292 1:1.

Best before was 280 1:1. Still have more artifacts in 3dmark01 than I think is normal. Will try to improve upon the shielding tommorow.

Thanks for the responses.

Back