• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New vs Old NF7-S v2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
*off topic* (sry) jlin453 - I've been to Austin it's a lovely place :D
I stopped there on my connection flight from Oregon to New Jersey and from there to Home sweet home Israel :)

Suma.

Yeah it's a cool little (compared to Houston) place. You get use to everything being so close together and the surrounding is really nice. Lots of odd places and restaurants :). One of the sayings around here is "keep Austin weird", referring to keeping the small businesses in business :D

Abit strikes back!!!

My new NF7 2.4 (yes even newer) arrived yesterday...

:eek: This baby SCREAMS!... see sig. I cant believe this is actually an NF7.

245 x 9.5 (no mods whatsoever, besides L12)

2.5-3-4-11 (Hynix D43)

NF7 2.4

*Extremely* good OCer
Metal CPU lever
Blue DIMMS / IDE
Additional missing MOFSETS:
Mofset missing below the green "NF7" label (in between the transisters below)
Another missing MOFSET by the CPU socket... to the right of the primary MOFSETS..

This SOB hauls ***!!!!... I cant wait to get a barton core.. Im CPU limited right now

Were you not using your BH5's? Where do you keep your spare computer parts? Where do you live? (what kind of housing)
College.... its ok tho. I scored some Hynix D43 at Bestbuy for $60 (2x256 DC pack)

Where ya get rev 2.4 from?
Newegg.com

I ordered mine last week. It arrived on Wed

Man! I'm happy to hear that.
I'm gonna look for one like that.

Suma.
There is another guy on the forums that has the same mobo. Same deal stable @ 240mhz+. I could go higher but Im CPU limited (old Tbred)

Sentential - Man that's good to hear.
I think the one I burnt was like this. It did 228 stock, without no adjustments, but my RAM was the limit probably.

Suma.

That is great to hear. This Rev. 2.3 seems to max out at a little about 215fsb, and it needs max memory voltage to do it. Not like my last board. Anything above 215 causes HDD corruption. :(

That is great to hear. This Rev. 2.3 seems to max out at a little about 215fsb, and it needs max memory voltage to do it. Not like my last board. Anything above 215 causes HDD corruption.
Thats terrible... you might want to pick one of these up. This baby is rock solid @ 244. (no mods)

Jesus man, I wish I had one of these boards.
Mine maxes out @ 230, I still need the Vdd Booster and to set the vdd voltage higher and ****.

Suma.

hm, then I got a old one. Good to hear those new ones OC very good, mine doesnt. I havent tried much yet but it's already getting prime unstable when upping the fsb by 5. It's going to need alot of work if I want it to do better. Are there companies without al those confusing new revisions and stuff, companies that make mobos were we read about here on the forum and all OC about the same? To be honest I'm getting a bit of sick. I don't have money for a new one when the one I got seems to OC like crap, I spend my money on a A64 at that time.

Hope u guys get me.

To be honest I'm getting a bit of sick. I don't have money for a new one when the one I got seems to OC like crap, I spend my money on a A64 at that time.

DFI is the only ones who are consistant these days. I'd go with them or wait until these new revisions become more mainstream

How/where can I see what revision I have exactly? i.e. 2.xx? I ordered my new one a few days before you ordered yours, Sentential... just curious to see. Have mine at 228FSB right now with PC3500 Level One...

Odie

How/where can I see what revision I have exactly? i.e. 2.xx? I ordered my new one a few days before you ordered yours, Sentential... just curious to see. Have mine at 228FSB right now with PC3500 Level One...

You cant. This is an un-official naming system we have come up with. The NF7 has been changed so many times that calling it a 2.0 is lunacy.

Each version acts completely different from the other. There are alot more variations still un-named. I only hit up the ones that I personally have own(ed).

My latest NF7 is uncredible. If urs looks like the one in the pic... ur are a lucky man.

Only reason why I'm not @ 250mhz is because Tbreds rarely go over 245, hence 243 in the sig

I figure Ill add mine to the list now:

NF7-S rev 2.4?

Description:
ALOT of changes to the PCB. Several capacters / transisters / mofsets are either moved, replaced or missing.

NB fan is the new style, but it physically looks larger / beefier. Ie... New look... old size.

DIMM slots are blue and sport new DIMM latches. They are smaller and a ***** to deal with.

IDE / Floppy slots are also blue.

Uses the *new* MOFSETS that were previously found in the Rev2.3. They have the same cicrular indent and cheap feel. However it does *not* affect the OC.

AGP latch has also changed. The securing mechanism is no longer free-flowing. Its almost like a light switch. Its latched or unlatched.

PCB feels even deeper red this time. Its only slightly lighter than my Radeon 9800PRO. I would call it burgendy or maroon, not tan.

*Curious note*... There are transisters missing from both the NB and CPU... I wonder what that does. (ie the traces are still present)

Metal CPU Lever

Performance:

Runs like a beast. Acts just like the old NF7s in every way. Still stock and stable @ 243. (limited by my Tbred)

Runs fine with both CH5 and Hynix btd43, unlike the previous revisions that only liked one or the other.

Also works perfectally with both D1.0 and D2xx.

Overall.... One fine mobo. It rivals DFI in every aspect. If I could get a Barton I would probably break 250 - 260. The chipset feels like it has *alot* more headroom. (I could be wrong tho)

You are a lucky man, Sentential ;)

I don't think I have one of those magic boards as I am missing many of the characteristics of yours, and I still can't break 240FSB.

But I guess when you go through four NF7's you're bound to get at least one killer one, haha. I'm only on number two! Maybe if I wish hard enough this one will burn out...

I want a fast mobo :(

Odie

Back