• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New vs Old NF7-S v2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But I guess when you go through four NF7's you're bound to get at least one killer one, haha.
^^ ROFL.....damn right. Third one's a charm

My second mobo couldnt break 240 like urs. I wish u guys the best. Im glad Abit finally pulled their head out of thier asses

Sentential said:

DFI is the only ones who are consistant these days. I'd go with them or wait until these new revisions become more mainstream

Not what I noticed with my Lan Party board, I bought a proven/used NF7-S off of ebay. I'm never going to buy DFI again, and I will never reccomend them.

Third one isn't the charm, unfortunately. In fact, I RMA'd my 4th today. :D

It's DFI Infinity time. Hope I can get used to the BIOS though...I've been using an NF7-S BIOS for about a year, and I can change every single setting from default to where I like it within a minute. :)

My NF7-S 2.0 (old one) does 220fsb max stable, it wont even boot higher than that.

But it might be the RAM
1x512mb Corsair XMS PC3200-LL CH-5 chips

I was running 220x10(or 11) up to 1.9V on a 1700+ Tbred-B, with 11-3-3-2 timings and 2.9V on the RAM.

Third one isn't the charm, unfortunately. In fact, I RMA'd my 4th today.

It's DFI Infinity time. Hope I can get used to the BIOS though...I've been using an NF7-S BIOS for about a year, and I can change every single setting from default to where I like it within a minute

Haha me too.... even thought I think the Asus A7N8X Deluxe BIOS is much better and easier to use, I'm sure many other peeps that have had both MOBO's would think the same.

johan851 said:
[B
It's DFI Infinity time. Hope I can get used to the BIOS though...I've been using an NF7-S BIOS for about a year, and I can change every single setting from default to where I like it within a minute. :) [/B]

I second that. Ordered my Infinity today, going to see how it goes. Will be sad to see TicTac's work go away... BUt if the Infinity goes well, I'm going to sell my fast NF7-S. (If anyone's interested, PM me. sorry didn't mean to solicit).

But I will miss Abit... at least for now....

Cheers and best,

Odie

man am i confused! seems like abit has had too many revisions to version 2.0, this is hard on us overclockers, anyway, got one today and the characteristics are as follows: metal cpu lever, lightswich like agp locking mechinism, all dimms, ide, sata and jumpers are black, missing mosfets are not missing at all, and it seems to be a very reddish brown, although i have not seen many pictures of the redder nf7s to compare. correct me if im wrong but from what i have gathered these are good characteristics, right? unfortunatly i am still in need of a good psu & heatsink, so i wont be using it for a couple of weeks.

metal cpu lever, lightswich like agp locking mechinism, all dimms, ide, sata and jumpers are black, missing mosfets are not missing at all, and it seems to be a very reddish brown, although i have not seen many pictures of the redder nf7s to compare.
It sounds like you got a rev 2.0

It might be a good OCer...who knows. Plz update your progress

I have an old NF7 V1.1

'Bout a month ago got it regurb from newegg for $43. came like new in the box with everything. Scoped it out and thought, "Oh No! I got an old one." Dad-burn it! Oh well, . . . for 43 bucks I can't squawk *to* much.

Mated the ole gal up to my unlocked 2500 & two sticks of 256MB Kingston PC2700 and ain't missed a stroke since first boot. Had FSB up to 192 stable at 2.1GHz but CPU temp went up so backed it off to 166 and idle temp came down to 40C on air. No gaming or heavy apps here so happy with 1.83GHz. At first I was dismayed with the old NF7 but after reading these threads I have the old "bullet proof" version. I flashed the BIOS so maybe that helped.

Also have an old Epox 8RDA and Soltek 75MRN-L and IMHO, they also come under "bullet proof" category.

HeHeHe . . . 18 months ago when I was first getting into OC'ing a friend told me get *two* Athlon 2100's from newegg because they're downgrade 2700's. OK, for $40. each I'll dance. Both 2700's and happy as could be so if the 2500 dies I have two 2700 spares. :cool:

This is scary but don't know when it was written, found lots of hits by Googling "faulty capicitors motherboards."
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

Last edited:
Sentential said:
Abit strikes back!!!

My new NF7 2.4 (yes even newer) arrived yesterday...

:eek: This baby SCREAMS!... see sig. I cant believe this is actually an NF7.

245 x 9.5 (no mods whatsoever, besides L12)

2.5-3-4-11 (Hynix D43)

NF7 2.4

*Extremely* good OCer
Metal CPU lever
Blue DIMMS / IDE
Additional missing MOFSETS:
Mofset missing below the green "NF7" label (in between the transisters below)
Another missing MOFSET by the CPU socket... to the right of the primary MOFSETS..

This SOB hauls ***!!!!... I cant wait to get a barton core.. Im CPU limited right now

College.... its ok tho. I scored some Hynix D43 at Bestbuy for $60 (2x256 DC pack)

I just got my new one from Abit. I killed the old 2.0 and I think I also got the 2.4?

I think I got the 2.3 and not the 2.4. The Abit guy said they had wait 4 days to get more NF7-S in and once they came in they would ship mine out. I wonder if it's a 2.5 or if I just got the 2.3?

I have:

CPU Plastic Lever
IDE are a blue to green color
RAM slots are two purple one blue
New syle NB fan
Black FDC1 (it's next to the RAM slots)

I have the Mofset below the green "NF7" label (in between the transisters below)
I also have the MOFSET by the CPU socket... to the right of the primary MOFSETS.

If it doesn't OC I'll buy one from Newegg
Sentential did you get the OEM or Retail Box?

Mine was retail. It sound like you acutally have a 2.4

OC it and find out. The 2.4 and higher have missing 2 MOFSETS (one by the USB and one below the NF7 tag) and all blue IDE / FDD connectors, and a metal CPU lever

. However 1 guy that has ur make did get pretty far with a 2.3. (235) GlockOwner. He tried 250 but his RAM gave out on him. However Ive also heard of 2.3s not going past 210mhz even with the |12 mod:(

Let us know:cool:

Last edited:
extremecorvette said:
I think I got the 2.3 and not the 2.4. The Abit guy said they had wait 4 days to get more NF7-S in and once they came in they would ship mine out. I wonder if it's a 2.5 or if I just got the 2.3?

I have:

CPU Plastic Lever
IDE are a blue to green color
RAM slots are two purple one blue
New syle NB fan
Black FDC1 (it's next to the RAM slots)

I have the Mofset below the green "NF7" label (in between the transisters below)
I also have the MOFSET by the CPU socket... to the right of the primary MOFSETS.

If it doesn't OC I'll buy one from Newegg
Sentential did you get the OEM or Retail Box?

sounds like my fried one. It did 228 out of the box. Probably would do 240~ if I haven't fried it! :(

Suma.

Sentential said:
Mine was retail. It sound like you have a 2.3. 2.3s are either hit or miss

OC it and find out. The 2.4 and higher have missing 2 MOFSETS (one by the USB and one below the NF7 tag) and all blue IDE / FDD connectors, and a metal CPU lever

. However 1 guy that has ur make did get pretty far with a 2.3. (235) GlockOwner. He tried 250 but his RAM gave out on him. However Ive also heard of 2.3s not going past 210mhz even with the |12 mod:(

Let us know:cool:

I went a head and got one ordered from newegg. I hope I get the right one????

I'll see what I can get out of it with one stick of Mushkin PC3500 L2 and no mods. I'm going to sell this Abit NF7-S board once I get my new one from newegg, if it OC better.

Last edited:
Let me know how it goes bro. Hit me up on AIM.:cool:

If you get one with a metal CPU lever.... u hit the jackpot!
____

Once I buy a Mobile 2600+, Im gonna start preping my mobo to *attempt* to break world speed records on the FSB. I have both the RAM and the Mobo to give it an honest shot.

The target FSB is 265-277. However anything over 250 is fine by me :beer:

Last edited:
Sentential said:

Rev2.2 (Mine)
#1 MOFESTS have a circular indent. No wording on them
#2 CPU Plastic Lever
#3 Black DIMMS / IDEs
#4 New syle NB fan
#5 Hot MOFSETS
#6 Missing MOFSETS by the USB / SATA ports
#7 Deeper Redish Orange PCB color
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by .05
#9 Undervolts by (.5v) <--- Unresolved by MOFSET sinks

Characteristics:
Moderate OCer. Will break 220 but only with the L12 mod. Refuses to go past 240 without extensive modding. (havent done it yet)

--->(Mine) Refuses to work stabily with teh infamous 2-2-2-11 combo using *good* BH5 (max 210mhz @ 2.9v).. but works fine @ 232 using 2-2-3-11 using the EXACT same voltage :confused:

First of all, Thanks, this is a very nice chart that you made and almost completely addresses the issue of why certain NF7's perform the way they do.

Mine again is almost exactly the same as this except that the MOSFETS don't have a circular indent, nor "Made in China" but some code on them, and also, they aren't very hot at all. Furthermore, the MOSFETS next to the USB and SATA ports are still there, and also, the fan used is still the old style, not the new.

Other than these differences, everything else is the same. My memory isn't BH5 to my knowledge, but it still refuses to go any lower than 2-2-3-11 at any frequency that I've tested. Also, the board isn't stable at any frequency above 219, but I've gotten it to boot at 225.

Im glad my writeup helped you. On that note have you |12ed it yet? Im somewhat confused. It sounds like you have a rev 2.0.

IMHO the reason why ur mobo wont OC is because you are using CH5. I'd try a different flavor of RAM or its because you havent dont the |12 mod quite yet. That will probably get you higher

Last edited:
Now that I *finally*:rolleyes: have webhosting I'll add some pics of the various versions...

A picture is worth a thousand words:

NF7 Rev 2.1 (5/5 for OCing, this mobo r0x0r) (FSB max = 250+)
(notice the PCB color and Capacters / MOFSETS)
1.jpg

NF7 Rev2.2 (very inconsistant ranges from 1-3/5 stars. This is the mobo you should fear!!)(FSB max = 200 - 230 ish)
(notice the changes, missing MOFSETS, but not all)
mofsets.jpg

NF7 Rev2.3 (slightly more consistant than the 2.2, ranges from 2-4/5)(FSB max = 220 - 240)
(note that the 2.3 has both a black FDD and Plastic CPU lever and boasts the *new* NB cooler and is missing all MOFSETS)
3.jpg

NF7 Rev2.4? (very good mobo 5/5 *thus far*. All issues have been *drastically* improved)(FSB max = ??? )
(Metal CPU Lever. Note the Blue FDD. All MOFSETS are gone and sport the new smaller DIMM handles)
mynf7.jpg

The 2.4s look almost identical to an AN7. I wouldnt be suprised if Abit breeded the AN7s reliability into the NF7 to boost sales. It is possible for a 2.4 to come with Black DIMMS (I suppose). But they will have the new DIMM handles.

These new latches are smaller and feel almost *too* studry. It was next-to impossible to latch my RAM down without it falling out.

And of course the obligatory "money-shot"
desktop.jpg

CPU Interface Enabeled. Running *completely* stock with the specs in my sig.

Last edited:
Ok, I have all Rubycon caps next to my cpu socket,Wide dimm handles, metal cpu socket lever,new version northbridge heatsink. I have the three little surface mount IC's next to the serial ata~below the chip that has the green nf7-s sticker on it too. All ide/floppy connectors are black. So, other than the metal cpu socket lever and new northbridge heatsink it looks like I have a rev 2.2 :( ? it was said missing MOSFETS though...where? , I dont see where things are missing on the rev 2.2 picture.

"NF7 Rev2.2 (very inconsistant ranges from 1-3/5 stars. This is the mobo you should fear!!)(FSB max = 200 - 230 ish)
(notice the changes, missing MOFSETS, but not all)"

Back