• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New vs Old NF7-S v2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graywolfs

Registered
I am very very (very!) close to ordering a nf7 v2 to replace my a7n8x rev 1.04. I been reading up on a lot of these threads and I am starting to get worried about ordering one now. I am reading that the newer ones are using inferior pieces compared to the older ones. Can someone help fill me in on new vs old. And maybe make this a continuing thread on how people are doing with the newer released ones.

Some quotes I remember reading:
Sentential said:
The older NF7s use a wide range of stuff that the new ones dont have.

#1 You have the better MOFSET caps as opposed to new NF7 that use cheaper caps
#2 Your transisters for the mobo are of a higher quality than the new ones
#3 The older NF7s used better binned Nforce2 memory-controllers
#4 Overall quality was higher

Thats the primary reason why they OCed further, they used much better parts. However some of the new onez still kick *** (like mine). But they are a rare gem, unlike the old ones

The main difference is the Color of the new ones vs. the color of the old ones . The new ones have a much deeper reddish hue than the the older more tan looking ones

BeerHunter said:
I have two sitting here theres other diff too.

13-127-166-09.jpg

Chronos_s said:

BTW the only difference i can see with the 2 boards is the socket arm on my new one is metal, and the old one was plastic

oh yeah and when listening to mp3's now i get cracks and pops all the time.. very annoying

Any other differences people want to mention? Also, if people can post their overclocks on the new board.

Last edited:
well I just picked up a new one cuz I killed the old one.. I went from 220fsb before and now cant go past 200fsb :(

Im depressed.. **sniffles**

Yeah, I just ordered a new one today after mine randomly died. If this one sucks, I'm gonna be so ****ed...

I have a new one....it aint that bad...but its still pretty damn bad

U are absolutly right. The board is slightly redder, that MOFSET is infact gone.

However the RAM slots and the I/O port remain black.

So what is the deal with the v2? Is it totally hit and miss with a good overclocking board? It is really hard to tell right now, some say it is crap others say it is fine. I'm done dealing with my POS DFI LP Ultra B, but is the NF7-S v2 going to be any better? Is there a stable overclocking board right now? I'm willing to try Asus, MSI, or Albatron at this point.

I still like the mobo.. but I just cant believe that I was doing 220fsb with the old one.. now with the exact same hardware im not stable with anything past 200... :( what a bummer.. I guess its coming down to the way cpu's are mostly luck and there is always a chance of a bad one..

Hrm. I might just get the NF7-s v2, Ill see how johan's is, I think ill get one anyways. I been wanted a new mobo for a while now, and when I look at other boards, I always get back to the NF7... What about the DFI Infinity guys? Since the NF7's are getting worse, how will the DFI work? I got watercooling for the cpu, and I am pretty sure I have BH-5 chips also. Its the hyperx pc3000, and I got it near the end of the BH-5 age, someone said the model number on the case meant mine is bh-5 (missing an A) but I dont want to tear off the heatspreader to check. So whatcha think about the DFI?

Anyone else wanna post about their results with the new boards?

Last edited:
If you're getting crackling and popping while listening to music, try putting a heatsink on your southbridge. Just put thermal paste in the middle, put dots of super glue in the corners, and stick a little heatsink on it. I put an old Pentium 1 heatsink on mine.

Yeah, a SB heatsink is a good idea on the NF7-S. Can't go wrong sinking the MOSFETs either.

The DFI Infinity's are supposed to be good boards, but my problem is that they only allow CPU voltage up to 1.85v. With watercooling you're definitely going to want to push beyond that - it gives me at least 100mhz or more on my CPU. Hmmm...*ponders*

Mines got a metal arm and the mosfets mensioned are gone too ?
I did have an older one and yes i do remember that it had mosfets there ...
Mine wont go past 200Fsb either but i put that down to my pc3200 "Crucial" memory.

Must be the board's then, Although i must admit i love my nf7-s to bit's,
Best board i have owned overall ...

Have no fear my friends. I've ordered a 'new' NF7-S and I'm going to get a DFI Infinity as well. We'll see who wins, eh? I'll let you know.

well i have to take back previous bad comments about my new NF7-S

I'm still undecided on overclockability but i'm pretty sure its my sound card which was crackling not cause of the mobo. using the on-bopard sound is fine

And i resolved the previous heat issues i was having, which was a mistake of mine not the board (i blamed it for everything being +10C)

So yeah, not that bad :)

I had the new NF7-S rev 2.0. The board provides excellent bios features for overclocking. Much better than my Asus. The reason why I dislike this board is:

1. Temps are much higher. My temp jumped 10C than previous board.
2. I was not able to distinguish temps between socket versus diode temps.
3. I was not able to recover from unstable overclock. Was trying to hit 220 X 11. I went into bios to retard my speed but computer kept shutting down during CMOS save. This lead to corrupted bios chip.
4. The Vcore settings are undervolt. Asus overvolts Vcore and Vdim.

This is my experience with Abit.

Sniper.nkc said:
[
4. The Vcore settings are undervolt. Asus overvolts Vcore and Vdim.

This is my experience with Abit.

Do the new NF7-S's not overvolt the vdimm? The older ones did; I have it set on 2.9V in the bios and MBM reads it as 3.04V

my "old" one looks like the photo above, but has a steel cpu socket handle. I bought it in November '03 from Newegg....

Yup my temps are very hot (idle 45ºC with slk947u & tt2). The vdim tends to be overvolted and caps are still Rubycon. I was able to hit 220 fsb on the new version, but only it did not pass prime. Vcore still undervolts desipite the added sinks on my MOSFETS. I really do recommend added cooling on the south bridge. UPDATE: The high temps were a result of a bad tube of AS5.

MOSFETS%20cooling.JPG

http://a.1asphost.com/xxxvietboi/MCP-T cooling.JPG

Last edited:
Back