• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rediculous CPU temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Neeseius said:

Excellent example of someone who has no idea what they are talking about

Yeah, that was all sarcasim bro. This is a slippery slope that ends in a flame war, so lets not get to audacious ;)

Neeseius said:

with all those stars id think ud be a little bit smarter. It only makes sense that Air cooling depends on the temp of your air.... think about it

Water cooling also depends on ambient, just not as much. Of course, that only really matters as long as you're not using any phase change things, or a cooler full of ice.

Parkest said:
Please then tell us Neeseius why you are right, and everyone else (including myself might I add) is wrong. I run my system on nothing more than 45ºC load and I'm upstairs where it is around 73ºF or so.

But my point you see is this. You have the right to your opinion, and everyone else has the right to theirs. But you must remember that your opinion is absolutly worthless unless you can back it up with some facts to PROVE your opinion is correct. So please Neeseius, inform us all with the facts on why we are lying about our temps on air. Because with the information that you gave us:

Most seem to disagree with this. I'm just wondering the science of why you are right is all.

I find your temps perfectly logical. On the other hand you do have point, I dont think everyone is lying, but reading false temps, false temp reading are very common, and I think thats what everyone is experiencing. Its not a matter of opinion, these are hard facts. I dont see anywhere in my post where I state an opinion? Air cooling is limited to room air temps, thats why its called air cooling, current heat sinks are designed to almost require a fan to distribute the heat away from the copper. This design wont bring you under 39c indle temps unless as i said the air temp being blown as the processor or copper is very cold. This is a fact

i get anywhere from 28-32C IDLE which i don't see much of anymore with my slk and 45 load... and im not lying... and ummm there can def be lower than 39C idle, if you want to prove me wrong bring scientific equipment to me and prove it...

ambient temps range from 74-78ish F... too lazy to convert to C

Parkest said:
Please then tell us Neeseius why you are right, and everyone else (including myself might I add) is wrong. I run my system on nothing more than 45ºC load and I'm upstairs where it is around 73ºF or so.

You're ambient temp is 23ºC and your system is 20 degrees hotter. How does this counter what he's saying?

His point is that the air can only pull so much energy off of your heat sink and the air already contains a good deal... So unless you rip all of that energy out of the air, it's going to be limited in how well it can cool.

I dont think everyone is lying, but reading false temps, false temp reading are very common, and I think thats what everyone is experiencing. Its not a matter of opinion, these are hard facts.

Then I suppose you take a different road to getting absolutly accurate temperatures then. Please tell us all how to not get false readings and false temps. Tell us what YOU do to get perfectly accurate temps. Then maybe everyone will be bragging about the 'facts'.

Blind Tree Frog said:
You're ambient temp is 23ºC and your system is 20 degrees hotter. How does this counter what he's saying?

His point is that the air can only pull so much energy off of your heat sink and the air already contains a good deal... So unless you rip all of that energy out of the air, it's going to be limited in how well it can cool.

it counters what he is saying because the guy is saying you can't get under 39C idle and the average cpu should be at 50C

ElectroX said:

Yeah, that was all sarcasim bro. This is a slippery slope that ends in a flame war, so lets not get to audacious ;)

[color=00ee33]And we're watching to see that it doesn't become a flame fest. Careful! -- Paul [/color]

Neeseius said:
There is only so much you can do with air cooling and nething below 39c with air cooling is just stupid unless your room temp is 50F.

Best Socket A Aircooling, from the socket A roundup:

SLK900 w/ 5000RPM fan: .22C/W

@100w (a pretty overclocked AXP

39c=22c=17c

17c--->62.6F.

So, case temps would have to by 62.6F, more like 60F in the room.

So, load temps on an overclocked AXP are possible at 39C, but that'd better be a cold room. The original poster was exaggerating a little, but he has a valid point:

Motherboard temperature monitors are inherently inaccurate.

Re: Re: Rediculous CPU temps

greenman100 said:

Best Socket A Aircooling, from the socket A roundup:

SLK900 w/ 5000RPM fan: .22C/W

@100w (a pretty overclocked AXP

39c=22c=17c

17c--->62.6F.

So, case temps would have to by 62.6F, more like 60F in the room.

So, load temps on an overclocked AXP are possible at 39C, but that'd better be a cold room. The original poster was exaggerating a little, but he has a valid point:

Motherboard temperature monitors are inherently inaccurate.

And that was precisely a point I was going to make, and something that I think the original poster intended.

Mobo measurements are inherently inaccurate. At best, they should only be used to measure relative improvments in cooling systems on a fixed system. Comparisons between systems are at best questionable, not only because of inaccuracies in mobo measurements, but also due to differences in ambient room temps that are rarely mentioned.

@ElectroX: Glad to hear that the sinks are working well for you, and thanks. :)

-- Paul

Neeseius said:

This design wont bring you under 39c idle temps unless as i said the air temp being blown as the processor or copper is very cold.

Someone tell me where impossible is in that sentence? It also says that you could achieve 39c idle temps as long as your room temperature is cool. So... it helps to read first b4 you start talking

in my case i have 3 80mm intakes, 92mm and 80mm in the psu and a 120mm blowhole. cpu heatsink is the sp-94 (considered the best heatsink by many). voltage is at stock. overclock is 3.3ghz on a 2.4. cpu fan is a 80mm high speed panflo on 12 volts. case fans are on 8volts and blowhole is on 6-7. i also have a vga silencer on the vid card. i get very good temps. case is usually around 25C and the cpu is around 33C when folding with two folding consoles. my room temp is probably 70-74 or so on average....the reason i feel my cpu temps are fairly accrurate is because ive felt the heatsink near the base and the heatpipes on the side and i dont notice a difference...its not colder than my fingers and its not warmer. so the temps are fairly accrurate. 39C, which you claim isnt possible without a 50C room temp, is 102F....the temp under your tongue (which is warmer than that of your fingers) should be 98F....my hands are usually cold compared to others.....therfore i believe my temps are accurate give a few degrees in either direction. when i come home at about 3...the temp in the house is about 76-78 degrees...even warmer in my room because the air conditioning is turned off and the windows are closed during the day...my case temps were 28 (mind you the censor is in the lower left hand corner, under my sound card, so its warmer there than most areas in the case) and the cpu temp was 36.....

with stock cooling and normal room temps, under 39C is probably not possible. however, with a good aftermarket heatsink, such as the thermalright sp-94 and 97, and good case air flow....under 39C is definatly possible and the results are comparible to some very good WC setups. however, it will usually be louder.

if people would use the search tool or read some stickies, they would find out that as long as your stable, temperature doesnt really matter, however as a vantage point, anything under 50C should be good.....however most cpus can take a lot more..but they become less and less stable with higher temps.

im not trying to bash the starter, but if your using a stock heatsink, you shouldnt be complaning of 50C temps, espcially since you live in Arizona (assuming you live in the lower half where its already in the 90s)

Blind Tree Frog said:
Yet his number isn't below 39 nor is it idle.

OP also said the cpu should be around 55C load... which his is under, i think thats the point he was making

well boys
according to mbm5 my case temps are 18c, diode 24c and socket 25c. i have the window open a lil' and ambient is 17c. had a few beers and i ain't cold. and yes that is idle of course.
now i'm gonna spell ridiculous 5 times,

ridiculous
ridiculous
ridiculous
ridiculous
ridiculous :D

Last edited:
Back