need a very big drive

I'm running a fileserver and I can't find a drive large enough. What I need is a EXTREMELY HUGE harddrive, something like 1tb. It needs to be VERY reliable, it doesnt really need to be very fast, although it shouldnt be slow. My question is, do drives like this exist? I'm using this server to store my own files, I'm sick of using DVD's and stuff I just want a HD. I know this is not going to be cheap, but please understand I don't want the most expensive ones, heh heh.

Inactive Pokémon Moderator JigPu's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    RAID is your friend

Since you want reliability, RAID-0 obiously isn't what you want, and since you want capacity, RAID-1 isn't what you want. I'd try looking into other RAIDs (such as RAID-5) to see what they have to offer. Make sure whatever you want actually comes on a RAID card you can afford though... Lots of RAID cards don't have many of the RAID options, and the coolest RAIDs are on the most expensive cards.

JigPu
    .... ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    .... Intel Core i5 2500 ........................ 4 thread ...... 3300 MHz ......... -0.125 V
    2x ASUS GTX 560 Ti ............................... 1 GiB ....... 830 MHz ...... 2004 MHz
    .... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
    .... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
    .... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
    .... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
    "GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.

Yeah raid would be good but I would need many harddrives. I once read about one single harddrive of 1tb. Where can I find one of these and how do they work?

The Half Asleep Member Stedeman's Avatar
    I have yet to hear of a single ATA 1TB hard drive (consist of many SCSI drives some times up to 35 drives), you may be thinking of a TB SCSI tower. I think the largest for home use is the 350GB or 400GB Maxtor. You would be safer with RAID 5 (needs 3+ drives) over one drive and the over all cost. ex) right now 200GB Seagate and western digital can be nabbed for $99 AR.
    A good place to "see" how each of the RAIDs work is http://www.acnc.com/04_00.html

thanks for the help and that link!. As far as I've seen, those raid 4 and 5 and stuff cards are very expensive ($600 and more).

I've found that big drive back. It's 500gig, you can use them dual, making 1tb. Do u guys think they are good?

They are still a little expensive, for $579 u can get more than 2 250gig drives

uhm...kill me if i'm wrong...but isnt that...an...external....firewire drive ?_?... is that what you want? (lol, u can always rip the drive out of the case... lol

10 Year Badge
    http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/...6dc0fb17dce4d4

At about $2 a hard drive, it's hardly a "good buy" but it certainly is dense. You will not find SCSI drives above 146gb and you will not find IDE/SATA drives about 300gb. Not for a while at least. This is nice because it's just one thing, it's external so it's not taking up a ton of space like having 40 hard drives would.

those are just just a bunch of HDs put into one case. Its still not a 1TB drive.

It will be terribly slow too.

10 Year Badge
    Define "drive." That's like saying it's not a 250gb hdd, just three 80gb platters enclosed in to one shell.

you can open it up and find a bunch of seperate drive "enclosures". (I'm not sure what you call them)

10 Year Badge
    Enclosed platters?

enclosures similar to that.

I believe it are 2 harddrives of 500gig dumped in one case,

It's probably good, but $2K is too much for me.

U have a 200gig WD for $150. 5 x 200 = 1TB. 5 x 150 = 750. Sounds way better to me. One problem, I need 5 SATA (or IDE) connections, so I need to buy alot of PCI cards, which are very expensive with RAID and stuff. Or am I talking crap now?

10 Year Badge
    I would get 4-250gb harda drives. You're aware that this will NOT give you 1 logical terabyte, right? You'd be about 40 gigs off.

I know very little about RAID as a whole, but I think you can get an ok 2-channel card for around $70. With 4 hard drives, you would only need two.

I would go for 5 x 200 instead of 4 x 250, since that is way cheaper. Then I'm on 1000gb, so 24 of 1tb. (in fact, I know drives are always smaller than listed on the package),