• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flanagun

What mods can i do to a mouse? I bought a new logitec usb optical mouse and now i have this old ps2 ball mouse that works good that i can play with. Any ideas?

Well, I guess you could paint funny faces on it. LOL Seriously though, if you hear any good ideas, I've got a box full of old mice that need a new lease on life!

What to do with mice...

I'm painting mine to match my case color scheme. I also saw a guy who integrated his optical mouse and keyboard. really wierd. The keyboard was split in half and the right half was also a mouse. Like I said, really wierd.

LEDs hmm...

Ledw would be cool but how will you see them?

Well, there's a coupla things you can do. Firstly, you can switch out the optical LED from red to white or green. Blue is on a lower wavelength, and would cause more reading errors (The cursor could get "stuck" or jitter around)

You can paint it to match your case, or better yet, your keyboard.

You can wire up 2 LEDs to change colors when you press a button. I saw pics of someone who did that. Hit the left button, and a red LED lights up on the top or side. hit the right button, and a blue LED will ights up. (Substitute for the colors of your choice)

You can have it chromed. I've seen pics of this. If you have an all plastic mouse (No rubber like my Logitech Mouseman Wheel Optical), you can have the mofo chromed.

Let's see... You could... have molds made from all the shell pieces, and create an all Gold (or other precious metal) mouse. That'd be expensive, but WOW, it would look good.

Can't think of any more at this time, but if I do, I'll post 'em!

As I suggested on another thread, you could try to design a autofire in to it.

You could also try to design some really weird controllers...

I had the same problem but please read what I did.

1) I took apart the mouse so I had just the plastic case.
2) I bought two colors of rit dye one lighter one dark
3) Boiled water with light rit dye and put in mouse.
4) Took hot glue gun and make swirls and wierd designs.
5) Put mouse in dark colored dye let sit for 5 min.
6) Check and if good color remove hot glue
7) Now you have a cool tie dye mouse.

I used yellow and red and it looked cool. I was accully dyeing my lacrosse stick and I saw my poor old ball mouse and jazzed it up.

Can you point me to that auto fire thread that wouldnt be too hard to build and a good idea... possibly a burst mouse :)

What type of led did you use for your optical mouse? I bought some 3.3-5v bright blue LEDs for $4 at radio shack and they look awesome in my case. I would love to match it with my mouse but the blue having a low wavelength could cause errors.

If any one has had experience with changing the led of a Logitech mouse please tell me how you got it out of the surrounding plastic case. I might still try blue LEDs and see if it works because these LEDs are really vibrant and look great in the dark.

Mord-Sith said:
Can you point me to that auto fire thread that wouldnt be too hard to build and a good idea... possibly a burst mouse :)

Sorry, dont have any plans. I was only suggesting that one could try to rip the autofire from an old gamepad and try to wire it into a mouse. I have a such gamepad so I could look at it on my spare time...

A chasing stream of LEDs would be pretty sweet along the bottom edges of any mouse...when in double, add LEDs! Just have to either hook them up to the circuit or stuff a battery in there...

While playing around looking for a place to stick LEDs, i found some spots on my logitech optical mouse that will light the LED only in times of movement. Maybe I'll just throw a few white and blue ones in and see what happens.

I think you could cover it with rubber then sand it slightly to get a better grip on it. Also, you can make a mold of your palm then make a custom mouse case shaped specifically for you ;-)

Haha, cool idea with the palm thing, but that's just like having a MouseMan Pro :p Post some pics on how the LEDs work out, and if you can, where to place them, too! I'm going to try change from red to blue, tomorrow...

Just did my red to blue LED on my Logitech iFeel mouse, and it works damn well! (and just for the record, blue has a shorter wavelength than red, ends up as higher refresh rate). I might recommend using white for this mouse, or maybe a brigher LED, cause it's a little dim when viewed from the side. Gotta play with it some more and customize it up a bit!

I have the exact mouse, about 2 hours ago i modded mine. I took it apart and i took out the little spring that hits the underside of the wheel, when i did that i put it back together and now it doesnt do that clicking thing when i scroll:) i like it alot and feels cool when you scroll.

I cant take the credit for this idea, i found on this forum somewhere but i forgot who posted it.

Back