• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 7500 Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Special7

I am overclocking my Built By ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR with stock settings of 290MHz/230MHz (460MHz). It has 4ns hynix memory, and from what I have heard ATI unclocked the memory speeds from 250MHz to 230MHz when 4ns memory should equal 250MHz.

Sofar I have only touched the memory overclocking wise, I have it up at a stable 236MHz (472MHz) and I want to get it to 250MHz so I get my money's worth, although I wish I would have tried this 2 years ago when I bought it. :(

Anyway I have stock cooling on the card and I just hung a 80mm fan on the side of the card to blow the heat from the card away (although the card never gets hot) I did it just incase it needed the extra cooling. I want to know if adding that fan on the side of it will help in overclocking at all and if I should have no problem overclocking my memory to 250MHz from 230MHz where it shouldn't be.

Here's a similar pic of how mine is setup,

http://s90699750.onlinehome.us/media/addcooler-small.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Oh and I saw from searching these forums that the 7500 has some directx8 features, I was wondering what they were.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

concerning the lower memory clock then what the ram is rated, manufacturers do that usually for stability. It also helps differentiate between the different models, they might put the same ram on two different boards and clock one at a lower then stock speed because it should cost less, therefore it should be slower. Some small heatsinks on the ram certainly should allow you to hit speeds above that 250 point.

Ahh, the 7500. I had mine clocked at 348 on the core and I can't remember on the memory but I think it was nearly 300. That was a great card for the time, giving some competition to the GF2 ultra.

Well I used ATI Tool to check for the highest core/memory speeds but I stopped the core at 300MHz and the memory at 250MHz, I got no artifacts, ran 3DMark2001 multiple times without issues so I think I am going to leave the speeds here for a little bit before going any higher.

Since my other questions are no longer valid ;) I would like to ask this again,

I saw from searching these forums that the 7500 has some directx8 features, I was wondering what they were.

Thanks. ;)

The 7500 is a DX7 part. It is DX8/9 compatible, but does not support any features beyond DX7.

Can you link the threads which state it supports DX8 features?

kct2 said:
The 7500 is a DX7 part. It is DX8/9 compatible, but does not support any features beyond DX7.

Can you link the threads which state it supports DX8 features?

the 7500 supports 2 DX8 features, can not remember exactly what they are will try to find that info for you.

A decent card still on par to a G2 Ultra in performance, I reached 5370 in 3D01 and had my mem overclocked to about 310 if I remember right and it was a BBA card.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=3066421

CK

The Radeon 7500 chip (RV200) is the same as the original Radeon chip (R100) in terms of 3d features. It was just manufactured on a smaller process allowing it to run faster. It also added support for hydravision (from the Radeon VE) and HyperZ (new memory controller).

I’m not sure what features you are thinking of, but the main thing is the 7500 doesn’t support pixel or vertex shaders, the most important DX8 features. If you are thinking of Environmental Map Bump Mapping (EMBM) it was part of DX6.

Back