• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Types of cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Holy ****

Holy crap man how F******G fast can the core speeds reach with LN all i use it fans the bloody crazy,what would it do to a P4 3.0Ghz processor?

HOW FAST COULD YOU GET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, ive been gone a long while and wanted to let people know that i've returned and will be updating this once again soon. I will probably add some images and of course updates to the methods of cooling shown. The major update will include expansion into hardware specific types of cooling such as GPU/MOSFETS and so on.

It's good that someone reminded people about cascade phase change - "the leetest" :D

btw, nicely built WC doesn't use that much power. With proper pump and silent fans it's pretty comparable to common air cooling power consumption.

And if you gow with phase change and you don't need extreme temps, just nicely below ambient, power consumption is acceptable too.

thanks for the info some of that stuff is really neat
does anybody actually use that stuff like liquid nitrogen or the cascade phase change?
or is it just for show and to be cool (in both ways)

squasher said:
thanks for the info some of that stuff is really neat
does anybody actually use that stuff like liquid nitrogen or the cascade phase change?
or is it just for show and to be cool (in both ways)

Liquid nitrogen is total crap. It's to beat record, lasts for a few minutes and may cause CPU not run with other cooling anymore due to low temperature changes in core structure.

Cascade phase change - I've actually had some conversation with owner of one, got pics etc. Perhaps some day I'll just go to him to check how it looks in real, as he lives in same city as me. It's his personal computer, looks nice, performs nice and runs 24/7, what is good. Power consumption is of course higher than with normal phase change, but temps are insane. There are no ready to use "sets", so DIY, and without godlike knowledge, stay away.

I went with heat pipe passive cooling On a prescott 3.0Ghz and experienced a 20 degree C decrease in heat.added a LIAN LI case and dropped it another 5 degrees C .Currently running 40 dregrees C full cpu load.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Wow, quite a drop for a passive heatsink. Please post a pic of that setup.

Liquid nitrogen is total crap. It's to beat record, lasts for a few minutes and may cause CPU not run with other cooling anymore due to low temperature changes in core structure.

Can you post a link to someone with a cpu that wouldn't run bcause it's used to low temperatures? That is something I have never seen, nor heard of.

That passive might be really cool.
And about nitrogen - I haven't got link, but I'll try to find it. Some winnies were reported not to work @ low tepmeratures but it's not that. I rather meant "after nitrogen" problems. I can't promise anything but if I find link - I'll post it.

I'll try to get some pics with a web cam.But since my knowledge of computers is 10 years behind I'll need some help posting a link that you can access.

Great write up. I just read it and I learned so much about cooling. I'm still pretty much a noob with computers, but now I know quite a bit about cooling. (The "Would you like to know more" makes me think of Starship Troopers. :cool: )

Back