• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset voltage on NF7-s vers 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stratcatprowlin

When i was overclocking i would set it to 1.7v.

Now i'm running my desktop 2500 at stock speed and have the cpu voltage @1.625.I was wondering if i can safely take down the chipset voltage a notch to 1.5v as well?

If your running stock then yea 1.5vdd should be fine.. maybe even 1.4v.. but that might be unstable.. If you set it stock and to 1.5vdd I would still run prime to see if its stable.. Right now with my settings in sig im at 1.5vdd..

Thunda

Ignore the chipset voltage.

Some boards must have it on a certian setting to work properly. Mine for example MUST have 1.7 all the time

I wouldn't blatently ignore the chipset voltage. Yes, different NF7 boards will have varying responses to changes in Vdd, but it doesn't mean you can disregard it as a source of instability.

stratcatprowlin, if you want to know if you can take the chipset voltage down and still have a stable setup - lower the chipset voltage, then do a stability test with Prime95 and see if you system crashes.

but it doesn't mean you can disregard it as a source of instability
WOA no! Thats not what I meant.

He means to say they he is uncomfortable using high voltage. I meant to say Ignore the voltage and use what is stable.

The VDD voltage is the PRIMARY source of instability. I'd keep that in check first

TBH the chipset voltage really wont effect lastability or system temps in any real noticable way, so i wouldnt worry about it. 1.5v shouldnt be a problem though.

Sentential said:

WOA no! Thats not what I meant.

He means to say they he is uncomfortable using high voltage. I meant to say Ignore the voltage and use what is stable.

The VDD voltage is the PRIMARY source of instability. I'd keep that in check first

LOL, you can't ignore the voltage and use what is stable, either :) No need to overkill, right? :) So no need to use more voltage than what you need.

In my world, Vcore & temps were the primary sources of instability...

I understand what you're trying to say. Stratcatprowlin is asking since he's running the chip at stock, can he take down the Vdd and still have a stable setup. The answer is most likely yes.

I dunno man....it depends. Some mobo prefer it one way or another.

Mine hates running @ anything lower than 1.7v. Some mobos prefer to run @ 1.4. It all depends on what his PC likes

Tx for all the responses,Yeah if i take the fsb over 181 i have to set the chipset voltalge to 1.7v and i see a temp increase with that,so i was thinkin if i can lower it at stock speed,why not?

So.i'll try it at 1.5v and see what happens. TX again.

Back