• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd coming of a mobile barton?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This was out for a while. AFAIK it's the same thing as a normal 3200+ but without the integrated heatspreader.

That's not a barton. Why is the title 2nd coming of a mobile barton. That chip is basically the same as the Desktop A64 just lacking the IHS I doubt this is going to be the overclocking king for AMD, we're gonna have to wait for a new steping for the A64 because you don't usually get an overclocking king on the first stepping.

Not as well as the 3000+,3200+,and 3400+. The overclocking of all of these chips are dependant on the fsb because of the locked multiplier. A multiplier of 9 isn't going to get you very far. But wait, mobile athlon xp's are multi unlocked, so does this mean that mobile a64's are too? That would be really sweet.

Quailane said:
Not as well as the 3000+,3200+,and 3400+. The overclocking of all of these chips are dependant on the fsb because of the locked multiplier. A multiplier of 9 isn't going to get you very far. But wait, mobile athlon xp's are multi unlocked, so does this mean that mobile a64's are too? That would be really sweet.
Well AMD and the rest of all teh underdogs decided they wont give you any more freedom by going with them anymore. So, no, no more multiplier control except down. And since all bridges are gone you really have no option anymore, better pull out a PCI lock and some BH-5 ram cuz teh multiplier is history (litterally).

Maybe the FX prices will come down when we see socket 939? I heard they are staying so high because they are on the same socket as opterons. If I have to pay $800 for an opteron that is 400Mhz slower than a cheaper FX, which do you think I'd buy?

Quailane said:
Maybe the FX prices will come down when we see socket 939? I heard they are staying so high because they are on the same socket as opterons. If I have to pay $800 for an opteron that is 400Mhz slower than a cheaper FX, which do you think I'd buy?

There is no architectural difference between the FXen for Socket 940 and the Opteron 1xx series, other than the multiplier locking procedure that AMD does for the Oppies isn't done.

I'd believe that. When the FX are on a new core design, we'll see.

Captain Newbie said:

There is no architectural difference between the FXen for Socket 940 and the Opteron 1xx series, other than the multiplier locking procedure that AMD does for the Oppies isn't done.

I'd believe that. When the FX are on a new core design, we'll see.

From what I heard, it seems FX also had their ability to run SMP disabled, to stop people buying them instead of Opteron because FX have unlocked multipliers.

glasszon said:
Well, you can still change the multiplier if you have enough $ to get a athlon fx. :eek:
BS and they dont give you .5xs making it really not that needed. If you need to jump 200 mhz then it is, but remmeber A64s are horrible OCers.

Gautam's 10x250 is a very good overclock. I think that would be a PR of 4ghz+.

BS and they dont give you .5xs making it really not that needed

For some odd reason, the documentation says this, but I can assure, .5x multis do exist.

Not as well as the 3000+,3200+,and 3400+. The overclocking of all of these chips are dependant on the fsb because of the locked multiplier. A multiplier of 9 isn't going to get you very far.
It's very easy to hit a 300MHz HT, as long as you asyncronous, which isn't an issue. They'd probably do quite well.

But wait, mobile athlon xp's are multi unlocked, so does this mean that mobile a64's are too? That would be really sweet.
No, the mobile A64 are down-unlocked, just like desktop A64's. They throttle down, not up.

bulk88 said:

BS and they dont give you .5xs making it really not that needed. If you need to jump 200 mhz then it is, but remmeber A64s are horrible OCers.
Ummm, what rock have you been hiding under? Horrible overclockers??? WTF? They have been doing quite well, especially for the first stepping, you should check out the AMD section of XS.org before you pass judgement. With watercooling and voltmods, people are getting 2.4-2.6 ghz from the 3200+ easily. Let alone when given supercooling.... And as far as the multiplers, it makes no difference whether or not they are unlocked. The HTT frequency goes through the roof on these chips, its just a matter of having a proper voltmodded platform and running an async HTT/Mem bus. I actually have to drop my multiplier down to achieve the perfect balance. But I can get my HTT up to 350mhz, which if needed could give me 3.5ghz if the chips would do it. So adjusting the multiplier makes no difference. These are not the XP chips where the FSB hit a ceiling early on...

Any idea how well these chips OC yet? Not listed in the OC database yet.

I like the idea of no heatspreader so long as the heatsink is solidly mounted. Puts the die size into perspective as well.

I wouldnt say too much better if any at all than the current desktop A64s. Theyre not like the Mobile bartons that operate on much less voltage. The only real advantage I could see is that they are possibly CG steppings, which would allow for more stable operation using higher capacity Dimms. Again, I'm not so sure on even this, as my C0 stepping 3200+ seems to do fine with my 2x 512mb Mushkin Lvl2. I've heard that the command rate performance will also be improved, but again, I'm lacking sufficient evidence of this to really pass my judgement. Another thing many might be overlooking with these mobiles is that because of their lack of a heatspreader, a gap is created thus causing problems for mounting a heatsink on them without bracket modification. I'm not even sure if my waterblock would fit well on one of those mobiles....so until I see 3200 A64 CG steppings, I'm gonna stick with my chip. These are not the second coming of the mobile barton. And any of you who have had on-hand experience with the A64s (bulk88 obviously excluded) would know that they dont need nearly the voltage of their previous Athlon XP brethren. My particular chip will do 2.5ghz at 1.64v and I know many others with better cooling solutions that can get 2.7-2.8ghz at only 1.7-1.75v....but I guess that makes em lousy overclockers :rolleyes:

Back