• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
*sigh*, I'm on a dinosaur right now "all i have" its a p2 350, with 256MB of CL2 RAM, an 18.6 segate baracuda, with a geforce2 mx400 "at stock speeds", all i play is cs 1.6 for now haha, i play at highest settings for this system 1024x768x32-bit "OGL" and i get from 54-60 FPS in game action, which isnt bad for the specs haha

For me I'd say 55 to 65 even though on most games Im higher. But thats the lowest I'll go without feeling like I have a disadvantage. Anything below that, I feel like the other players have an advantage over me, dont know why lol.

about 1,000,000 would be smooth to me but as long as I can see the enemy at the sanme time that they can see me then thats fine

I have to chose the lowest range seeing as I can't get any higher due to my 2.8 celery stick. Well thats a lie becuase I can go much higher on low settings but I'm not play fast paced shooter games so beauty settings take presidence over framerate, which isn't an issue for me.

Cobalt said:
I have to chose the lowest range seeing as I can't get any higher due to my 2.8 celery stick. Well thats a lie becuase I can go much higher on low settings but I'm not play fast paced shooter games so beauty settings take presidence over framerate, which isn't an issue for me.

I've noticed that celerons are bottlenecks for decent video cards. My friend's 2.7 celly sucked with a 9700pro. :( Your 9800pro would do so much better with a better cpu. They actually do pretty well on HL2 with somewhat decent filtering settings, like 2x/4x. My friend gets 60-100fps with those settings on a 3000 winchester. When you upgrade one day you should definitely do your CPU first. Does your board support P4s? You can probably find a cheap p4 in the classies, or maybe I can find one for ya...

55-65 OPn either single player or multiplayer. I would love to have 65++. Anything below like 40-45 fps bugs me. Not sure why but it just seems choppy to me.

I like how this thread keeps getting posts every week or so. This poll is huge.

You know what people never took into account was if they have vsync on or off... there is a huge difference between let's say vsync on 60fps and vsync off 60fps. Vsync on almost makes it seem double the fps, although not so literally, but I'm just making a comparison.

50-60 looks very smooth to me. i tried with COD in the last level. when i'm outside of the reichstag, i got 30's, but you go under this tunnel thing and it jumps to like 60 and the difference is VERY noticeable.

Since you say you like 50-60fps, you would need to find a video card that can handle 50-60fps even at the most critical moments. Then, just set your fps_max or whatever the game command is and set the max to the lowest dip. That way it won't ruin your coordination. I always set a max fps setting, so that I don't go from like 300fps down to 50fps... it kinda ruins my aim.

Have you taken a closer look? Have you seen 100fps as opposed to 40fps? Even my cousin, who plays at like 30-40fps daily, can see a HUGEEEE difference on my computer. He uses my 2nd rig (in sig) with the 6800LE, and says it's 10x better than his AXP barton with 9200 radeon. And this is just in CounterStrike-Condition Zero

Back