• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
g0dM@n, i guess most ppl who are ok with low fps haven't played competitively. i hear in some cs clans they won't let you snipe in scrims if you can't pull 100 fps stably.

I can discrn differences in framerates up until around 80fps or so. Anything more than that and it's a waste(since my monitor is only set at 85hz anyway).

As far as what's smooth to me, I'd say at least 45 fps. It has to be that high to not appear choppy when running and turning quickly. However, that doesn't mean I can only play at a min of 45 fps. I'm not picky, and I'm also not obessive about this kind of crap. 30 fps is perfectly playable for me, and I'll even tolerate dips into the 20 fps range. It's not smooth nor very enjoyable, but I'm not going to turn off all the eye candy just because of a few minor fps drops.

A higher framerate doesn't give you an edge if every time you shoot at an enemy you spray bullets on the ground around his feet. WAY TOO MANY people obsess over this stuff and they're only mediocre players to begin with, so it doesn't make a difference if they were playing at 10 fps or 100 fps. Same applies to people who claim they doubled their kill ratio by getting a better mouse or joystick. Sure, there are people out there who have such high skill levels and response times that they exceed the limits of their hardware. However, 99% of the population(including most of the people on this site) are not like that.

mcoleg said:
g0dM@n, i guess most ppl who are ok with low fps haven't played competitively. i hear in some cs clans they won't let you snipe in scrims if you can't pull 100 fps stably.
Wow, I didn't know that. I thought if you were good that's all that mattered. How would they know how many FPS you get anyways? That probably got a lotta people to start lying, but then if people like us asked and also said "what kinda video card is that?" then they'd be screwed. :D

g0dM@n said:
Wow, I didn't know that. I thought if you were good that's all that mattered. How would they know how many FPS you get anyways? That probably got a lotta people to start lying, but then if people like us asked and also said "what kinda video card is that?" then they'd be screwed. :D

well, so i was told. makes sense to me, really, since it's dependant on the game engine properties.
when i was playing ef (q3a engine, we played a variation of rail), not only shooting but also movement was affected by the frame rate (remember the magic numbers? 45-76-125? :p ). it's hard to make sure they do a certain number of fps stably sometimes but if they couldn't jump out of tranches, you'd know they don't have their settings straigh. that's how i always started practices in the beginning of the season - load a certain map, get everyone in the tranch and make them jump out. whoever couldn't would get a lecture on propper settings :p .

q3a, eh... well, I was a late bloomer, so I never got to playing that at all. I didn't pop my cherry with multiplayer games until 2nd semester sophomore year of college. That was Spring of 2002 I think, and it was for Half Life: Opposing Forces Mod. Sick game at the time... I loved it. I then wondered off to Counter-Strike 1.6 a little after Steam first came out, around Thxgiving of 2003. You guys probably know more than I do with that stuff, but you DEFINITELY aren't better than me in CS: CZ (Condition-Zero)!!!

You should. I just bought another copy of it 2 minutes ago on ebay for $6.99 shipped!!!... it could be open box tho, and if it is let's hope the cdkey works.

Here is another one of them that this guy is selling... they sell LOTS OF OPENBOX GAMES! Some ppl get lucky, and some don't, kinda like unlocking pipes on a vid card, like my 6800LE... first one sucked and this one is pretty good.

peopl say the human eye can only see 24 fps, but i do notice if my fps drops from 100 to like 40

as long as it stays a constant rate avg of 50+ i'll be fine

I can take it down to the 20s or high teens if the game is fun enough for me not to notice (a la BF2). Anything above 30 is good for me.

60FPS minimum. People with good vision CAN tell the difference, and come game time, its all about >60FPS.

Gotta run 100+ or 120+ fps in my games, especially in first person shooters. I'm also a very hardcore gamer playing games such as Doom3, CS 1.6, CS:CZ, CS:Source, HL2, FarCry, BF2 etc. Blah blah and the list goes on. Wife says I got an addiction. I tell her it's a "hobby.:D" I can surely tell the difference. Don't mean to diss anybody, but my games look like crap if played less than 100 fps.

Last edited:
30 gets the job done but consistancy is just as important in my opinion. Thats why i like to cap the fps or use vysnc because even though 30 is smooth the difference from lets say 100-30 will feel differnent then 60-30. Since its not written in law its what you can cope with. And not to be a castopo they dont look different above 60 just the feel really.But after going from 1.6 to source i know what you mean :).

Back