• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
i can play a strategy game at >40 but with an fps/Action RPG you really want more that 60-70.

:edit i here you franklin oblivions a killer, i run it jerky just to look at it.

xtrmeocr said:
125 is the magic number

you probably have some monitor with a 60hz refresh rate and just think your really cool because you play games at 125fps. when really your monitor ony shows 60

Currently gaming on an aging laptop so voted for the 35-45 as thats the sort of acceptable framerate when the visual's are turned up to an acceptable level.

When i build my bigger better pc i'm sure that will go up :D

the more frams the beter i like plus 90
games like quake 3 areana the difrents batween 80 and 90 you can feel it. not just what you can see it efects the game lage from the game engene
too. my nokia 21" crt can do 120fps @ 1024x768 stable.

Hi guys!

The first time I became obsessed about the amount of FPS my machine could handle was when I was playing Halo. Going from my tatty machine to a high end machine, I could easily double my score due to the difference in FPS. This was from 40 to around 80 fps, allows for more precise accuracy, better prediction, etc.

I voted for 80fps simply because it's the ceiling for me in terms of what helps me play better. Sure, I can notice a game dipping from 150fps down to 80 or so, not so much the monitor displaying those refresh rates more so the reaction speed of the games to the input - I'm talking FPS' here, not RTS games, where I don't notice such differences.

It's not so much noticing the amount of frames dipping, that's pretty much impossible imo, unless the fps goes really really low. It's just how fast the game reacts to your control, and obviously, the higher the fps the faster the game will react to the input.

80+ or bust! Also anyone who truly believes fps differences over 60 are undetectable needs an eye exam.

Necrothreadzz. :chair:

80+ or bust! Also anyone who truly believes fps differences over 60 are undetectable needs an eye exam.

Necrothreadzz. :chair:

With my 20/20 vision (glasses on), I don't notice anything past 30 FPS. I have a friend who can tell if his game drops below 100 FPS. It's all about the person, and any other statement is absurb.

Every time a someone votes on a poll, the thread gets bumped, even if there isn't a new post. So someone voted to bait you :D

30fps is fine, but without stuttering or hiccups. I like to keep my minium framerate at around 25-30fps.

Minimum framerate too low? I lower settings a notch. Seems people are scared to do that..

Back