• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
micamica1217 said:
if you want to be a sniper on my team, well you better want to play around 100fps...your aim in a FPS game like MoH:AA or RTCW:ET will be far better.

100fps in those games isn't too hard to get to though... Good luck getting there in FarCry with decent visuals... or D3 or HL2 when they are out.

IMOG said:

100fps in those games isn't too hard to get to though... Good luck getting there in FarCry with decent visuals... or D3 or HL2 when they are out.

Well with FarCry and HL2 they're single player games so it won't matter as much.

But I have heard from beast Quake III players like Larva that 125 is the best point to be at for the QuakeIII engine.

70ish is the ticket for me. I don't actually get that high most of the time, it's just where things look noticeably nicer.

funnyperson1 said:

Well with FarCry and HL2 they're single player games so it won't matter as much.

But I have heard from beast Quake III players like Larva that 125 is the best point to be at for the QuakeIII engine.

Yeah I agree on the fps importance difference between campaign and multi. Except FC does have a decent multiplayer, but that wasn't your point and it isn't real popular yet AFAIK.

Do most good monitors support a refresh rate of 125hz at a good resolution? I have never had a good CRT... Went from an old gateway 15" monitor to a 17" mv700 compaq monitor (1024x768@85Hz), both freebies.

Last edited:
35-45 is fine enough for me... well... thats about all my Geforce 2 will give me anyway :p

I'm not much of a gamer anyway.

To me anything below 70fps isn't smooth. But I never get that low anymore since I have a 9800np OC'd somewhat 360/306. And the main games that I play are CS and Zero hour so both are smooth as a baby's butt for me :) .

IMOG said:

Yeah I agree on the fps importance difference between campaign and multi. Except FC does have a decent multiplayer, but that wasn't your point and it isn't real popular yet AFAIK.

Do most good monitors support a refresh rate of 125hz at a good resolution? I have never had a good CRT... Went from an old gateway 15" monitor to a 17" mv700 compaq monitor (1024x768@85Hz), both freebies.

with a good 85mhz refresh rate you'll be fine in Q3A...
I know, as it was one of my all time favorate games.

but do you must have vsync on to play your games?
maybe in single player, but most play great w/o in muti...

just try to frag me with a rail gun in Q3A with less then 85fps,
and I'll repeat, you'll be a better sniper at most games with a high FPS

I have to agree that with most single player games you can get away with far less, but your aim will improve with more.

playing KotOR was just fine at about 35fps, yet it's not a FPS game.

mica

since I have been gaming from the days of Doom and before,
I have found my magic number is 100 fps....

quake2 really showed me the difference in gameplay with high frame rates and what they would allow you to do......

btw I ruled with railgun... rated top 100 on CLQ at times

anything less feels sluggish..

Last edited:
IMOG said:

Well as extremeocr pointed out, its more important what the game engine is running at rather than what you see. At least thats how I heard it. I doubt many people have monitors that can do 125hz.

You also could have pointed out a possible CS2:p

32 is all you need to be smooth,, but for fluctuations a little higher for the high graphic areas..

welp for me

Anything over 70fps is great,(very fast too for sniping) I Play on the OneX server In CoD all the time, Its sniping only, and i rarely dip below 100fps, And thats all On high in game and in driver.

As for farcry, I have screenies of my FPS, and they dont drop below 40 ever, Either single or multi. You definately need above 30 in FarCry for you to not be fragged to heck. This is also with 2xaa and some AF, and useing PS2.0

I play all my games at 1280X1024X32 @ 85 Htz. And i do Great.

I rule the Boys with GF3 cards on server. Also a great Net connection helps too.

So to sum it up, 70fps and up is my magic number.

just try sniping wehn your getting 85+ FPS but your dialup has the other players moving 10 feet a second. (without being anywhere else inbetween point A and B)

i did that for a good 6 hours ysterday in AVP2...good times. i actaully am getting pretty good at estimating where they will be when their computer gets the signal that i fired a shot. some of the players move in unnatural patterns, though...

Como said:
just try sniping wehn your getting 85+ FPS but your dialup has the other players moving 10 feet a second. (without being anywhere else inbetween point A and B)

i did that for a good 6 hours ysterday in AVP2...good times. i actaully am getting pretty good at estimating where they will be when their computer gets the signal that i fired a shot. some of the players move in unnatural patterns, though...

your framerate is def limited by your internet bandwidth..

on 56k i would cap my framerate to say 40 to keep ping low

even on cable I cap @ 125 fps max or some old games that would run 300 to 400 fps would lag a bit as the framerate would want to eat up the bandwidth..

55-65 is usually smooth enough for me, although in some games for some reason I need it to be higher, and others, lower.

I guess it depends on the gameplay. Unreal tournament is ridiculously fast, so it needs to play fast. First person shooters in general have to run faster especially for online play. And it needs to look smooth because environments are changing quickly and dramatically. In more strategy involved games, the framerates can go down because movement usually wont be as dramatic.

Back