• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
I voted 25-35 because I find 30fps fine.

That though is a rock steady 30fps. Depends a lot on the game engine though. Some games you need to hit 60fps average, not because 60fps is noticably smoother, it's because it careens up to 80fps then down to like 20fps when it gets busy. Games that do 30fps and slow only as low as 25fps would actually seem smoother to most people. This kind of thing is very noticable in the 3DMark 2001 1st game demo, in high res on a lower end card you can get the frames racing up to 115 at points but when the truck runs by the robots legs it crashes down to 12 fps and looks all jerky. On the same card the other demos never get as bad as that, with lower maximum frame rates but a lot smoother overall.

I'm sure the reason that consoles can get by with lower spec hardware and still play smooth is because although framerates are low, the games and game engines get optimised for smoothness and the situations where the framerate crashes are rare. This being possible partly due to having known system configurations.

Road Warrior

In SinglePlayer 35+ is fine, but 50+ is better in MP.

However, even in SP, the 35 is a lower floor, so the average should be higher.

ive noticed that anything over 20 constant or higher is perfect for games, i dont really notice much of a difference between 25 and say 55.

I'll assume you guys don't remember the days of Q2 on dial up "back in the day". Ping of 300 was an incredible connection. FPS of more than 25 meant you had cash you could afford to burn on hardware. Like I said before, some people will react, some people will predict. I fall into the latter. Take out knowledge of the map and who is playing, garanteed I'm going to lose. If I know who's playing and what map, I'd have to say my odds are 70/30.

Yeah, high pings with poor framerates tend to make you do the prediction thing :D One UT2K4 map I decided to be really cheezy on and just kill people by shooting them off thin passes over a raviene. They run across the small pass, I shoot them about 100ms too early, they fall off, +1 point for me :) If they jump, I miss :D

In UT2K4/UT2K3, bring down the console by pressing the "~" key. Type in "stat_fps" (without quotes) for the FPS counter.
JigPu

the human eye can barely percieve anything over 25...but the human hand is sensitive to up to 100+ fps

Since I only have a measley GF mx440, I doubt I'm seeing more than 30-40, so I won't even experience the difference will I upgrade my card which I'm working on doing..

perhaps I should reduce my resolution to 800x600 or even 480 to see the difference

wuzzapiman said:
the human eye can barely percieve anything over 25...but the human hand is sensitive to up to 100+ fps

this has been discused to death before, and I'm sure it was already mentioned in this thread too.....I strongly disagree with you.
I can clearly see more then 30fps in real life, games, and so on.

look back on this thread to see if a link is here to back up what I'm saying.

mica

micamica1217 said:
this has been discused to death before, and I'm sure it was already mentioned in this thread too.....I strongly disagree with you.
I can clearly see more then 30fps in real life, games, and so on.

look back on this thread to see if a link is here to back up what I'm saying.

mica

fighter pilots can supposedly detect up to 250++FPS.

its all about what you are TRAINED to see.

i used to play sof2 a LOT, and anything less than 125fps was unnacceptable.

p.s. any sof2 cats out there, what's up! t|a richard ramirez AKA toy1! reppin'

if its above 25 its smooth.. however the prob arises when it dips down when the graphics get more advanced.. thats when it feels like im playin on a **** box.

I found with Q2 that when I had a TNT it felt smooth with 40 fps, then I got the TNT2 Ultra and it was even smoother with 60 fps. Now, with incredible frame rates in Q2, anything over 90 is a waste for the game being smooth. Sure the 9800pro will put up some stellar numbers in the fps department, but I myself can't "feel" the difference with anything over 90. Could be old age creeping up on me tho. :) I like to keep any game over 70 now. Hope D3 don't make me buy another card.

Valk said:
Since the human eye cant see more than 25 images in one second, Im comfortable with my fps at 25-30. its really kind of rediculous to have more, since you cannot see the minute detail changes at the higher frame rate. if you turn the camera swiftly, your eye naturally blurs the image since it cannot track the change of image locations quickly enough to redrew it crisp and clear.

So, i wonder what happened to using the motion blur feature in games. as far as i know, it has been supported in hardware since the voodoo 5.

Maybe thats true, but i can tell between 25 and 85. If i play a game @ 25fps i deff notice a diff.

Idealy for me i have to play games @ 55-85 fps anything lower and i notice the slowdown and it bothers me.

Your not kidding when you say slowdown. I will say this. When my FPS use to dip to the 20's and 30's in COD on long range maps. Id get sniped BAD!! Now people ask, How can you snipe me so fast? And its all due to Higher Smoother game play because my FPS NEVER go below 60fps Ever. And thats with high detail and 4x/8x. AND i turn Vsync off. When everything is running smooth, My stats are off the charts.

30fps is NOT good when Playing a FPS shooter. Weather you see every little leaf on a tree or not Its STILL better to Have the Highest FPS you can Have.

BTw i run @ 1280x1024x32 with high quality settings in driver,and in game settings, and still dont drop below 60fps. Cant wait to build my A64. Im a gamer and nothing else matters.

Harry

Back