• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
FPS like Mw, BF3 i like to have around 60fps. MMO's like Everquest, WOW, 30fps is fine with me.

FPS like Mw, BF3 i like to have around 60fps. MMO's like Everquest, WOW, 30fps is fine with me.

I agree, with shooters 60+ is necessary.

However for more adventure based and rts games 30 is definitely still enjoyable.

My Brain is overclocked on adderall 24/7 which makes me a pretty much super human! So anything below 150 is like a stop-motion cartoon...

But when its at stock speed 40+ is fine :D

Every time a someone votes on a poll, the thread gets bumped, even if there isn't a new post. So someone voted to bait you :D
I asked to get that featured disabled... no go. Im forced to unsubscribe to the thread to not get updates. :screwy:

Too bad at the time it was just annoying, now there is a real reason to do it.. Necros... or make polls finite. :p

With FPS I don't care so much on the actual FPS, so long as it is consistently above 60 to avoid any stutter.

RTS can be down to 20FPS and be fine for me as it isn't as critical to gameplay.

With FPS I don't care so much on the actual FPS, so long as it is consistently above 60 to avoid any stutter.

RTS can be down to 20FPS and be fine for me as it isn't as critical to gameplay.

Absolutely, consistency is key.

A system running a game at 90+ frames can still be an unplayable experience if the fluctuations of FPS are such that it creates significant stuttering.

I can play Crysis at 15FPS with vsync on no issue. If i turn Vsync off, my GPU can get up to 25FPS in places, but then crash down to 10 and it bugs the crap outta me. At 15 steady, it's smooth to me if i don't look too hard.

I can play Crysis at 15FPS with vsync on no issue. If i turn Vsync off, my GPU can get up to 25FPS in places, but then crash down to 10 and it bugs the crap outta me. At 15 steady, it's smooth to me if i don't look too hard.

Crysis is a definite exception since it does motion blur so well...

that...varies to me...in a game where i expect good framerate, 55-65 is about as low as i want to go, in a game where framerate doesnt go as high...id say 20 is ok, secondlife is that exception, i only really had to make it for that one...

A frame is a frame is a frame. If you dont like 20 fps COD4, you wont like 20 FPS on BF3. The difference is with the genre of the game and type of action it gets. RTS games especially can stand to have lower FPS as there is little action on screen so you dont notice as much. So Im not so sure about expectations so much as it is a genre...unless that is what you were trying to say?

Great Scott... so tired of threads updating with polls...

Yeah I was just about to say, if you have a 60hz monitor and are getting 200fps you cant tell the difference between that and 60fps...

Absolutely, consistency is key.

A system running a game at 90+ frames can still be an unplayable experience if the fluctuations of FPS are such that it creates significant stuttering.

Yup, exactly. I have to turn vertical sync on in my FPS games or it is much harder to play. Without vsync on, in call of duty games games it will fluctuate between 80-120..which makes it very hard to play.

And for me, 60FPS is what I need in FPS games. I wish I had a 120Hz monitor, but I don't have the money.

People who prefer above 60 should actually have a separate thread for them. They are either CRT users or have uber LCDs with 120Hz refresh rate. The norm doesn't.

Yeah I turn vsync on and juice everything up, Im happy at 60, but I start getting fussy at around 45ish.. In some games it was nice to have 570 sli, they chewed thru pretty much everything. Dam u Metro 2033.

Edit:

There was a time when I liked 500fps lol

I play Arma 2 which is fairly heavy to run, however it can play well down to 20fps, my average was around 45-55, but with the new patch 1.60 and beta’s providing tweaks since, I am now getting around a constant 55-65fps, slightly lower in built up areas, maybe 45, but a lot higher out in the open upto 90+

PC games seem to be wildly different when it comes to smooth playing, some run nice at 25fps others you have to get min 60fps to keep it smooth..

I voted 55-65fps:)

Back