• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters

funnyperson1

It's a simple question. How many FPS do you need in a game for it to be smooth, and for you to have an enjoyable gaming experience?

I would say 35-45 because that is what I play a lot of games on my laptop at, and they are still pretty fun.

Ideally though, I like to have at least 60-65 if it is an online multiplayer game.

On my own 35-45 is fine, but for multiplayer I need something in the 50's pretty much to not feel like I am at a disadvantage.

I like to keep my fps no less than 30 or it begins to show decreasing smoothness. things get bad in a hurry as I dip below 20. 20 is the minimum where I can aim reasonably well

Most games are fine at 30 or higher. However fast shooters like UT2k4 work alot better for me when they are running over 60. In that regard I would argue the pace of the action determines my reqirements for enjoyable FPS.

Since the human eye cant see more than 25 images in one second, Im comfortable with my fps at 25-30. its really kind of rediculous to have more, since you cannot see the minute detail changes at the higher frame rate. if you turn the camera swiftly, your eye naturally blurs the image since it cannot track the change of image locations quickly enough to redrew it crisp and clear.

So, i wonder what happened to using the motion blur feature in games. as far as i know, it has been supported in hardware since the voodoo 5.

Valk said:
Since the human eye cant see more than 25 images in one second, Im comfortable with my fps at 25-30. its really kind of rediculous to have more, since you cannot see the minute detail changes at the higher frame rate. if you turn the camera swiftly, your eye naturally blurs the image since it cannot track the change of image locations quickly enough to redrew it crisp and clear.

So, i wonder what happened to using the motion blur feature in games. as far as i know, it has been supported in hardware since the voodoo 5.

This is false, many people can see the difference between 80 and 100 fps. There was a great article posted here somewhere about this.

25 fps is only the point at which pictures blur into motion. There is definately a sensing of faster/slower motion beyond that point.

Well, right now, I usually get 35-45 on most games. However, I do have my outlier games- Halo and Counter Strike I get over 80, all at the highest settings, and FFXI, on the lowest settings I only get 10-12.

I meant any current game will not give you those kinds of framerates with any kind of current hardware at any kind of currently reasonable detail level. ;)

IMOG said:
125 huh? And what games do you play with those framerates? ;)

if you want to be a sniper on my team, well you better want to play around 100fps...your aim in a FPS game like MoH:AA or RTCW:ET will be far better.

yet to anser the question....as close to an avg of 60fps
this way when the action get high, and frames start to dip, it will still be smooth.
mica see's a big diff between 30 and 60...
so do others, even if you don't think you do.

mica

{PMS}fishy said:

You running a 125hz refresh rate? Otherwise you are not really getting 125FPS. You just think you are.

of course i am running 125hz, but even if i wasn't it still would make a difference as even if you aren't displaying 125 updates on the screen the game engine is running at 125fps.

Back