• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
uhh lol I only play counter-strike and its playable for me at around 60. Its nice if its 100. But I occasionally play quake 3 and 100 is good.

Anything over 60 is fine for me. Even when I play bf42 in competition I dont care if the framerate is 60 or 100. All the same to me....I pwn either way :p .

However, after playing farcry at 1152x864 with details maxed I have learned to live with 35 FPS in action scenes. I cant really see the diff bewteen 35 or 70 FPS in farcry, but I can see the diff. bewteen high and veryhigh shadow quality, If ya know what I mean :)

I play some FPS's right now and like in the 50-60 FPS range but I play mostly MMO's and run around 20-25FPS with 2 accounts running on the same computer so I'm doing good.

I play RTCW mostly, I don't have maximum on the framerate, it varies between 70 and 600 @ 1024 x 768. When I would max it I would use the default of 90, that's just great. But to get constant 90 I would have to lower some visual details and tweak stuff (everything is at maximum right now) but it plays fine.

the higher the better, so that you have less chance of 'dipping' into the sub 30's.

I have no idea how anyone can tell a difference between 80FPS and 100FPS. I can't tell the difference between anything over 70FPS. I wish I had that eye for detail.

50FPS works just fine for me in FPS games. 30FPS is bare minimum for me.

24Gordon said:
I have no idea how anyone can tell a difference between 80FPS and 100FPS. I can't tell the difference between anything over 70FPS. I wish I had that eye for detail.

50FPS works just fine for me in FPS games. 30FPS is bare minimum for me.

its quite simple when you are wheeling quickly to turn and shoot..... you can see...feel the difference...

Too be honest, i rate stable frames better than higher frames. I would rather have 40fps than 60-80, normally i run my games capped @ 60fps, ut2k4 goes down to 50 however, my TI4600 is starting to show its age.

~t0m

funnyperson1 said:

This is false, many people can see the difference between 80 and 100 fps. There was a great article posted here somewhere about this.

25 fps is only the point at which pictures blur into motion. There is definately a sensing of faster/slower motion beyond that point.
Im one of those people,I can tell between 80 and 100 fps.I have to have 100fps or it drives me crazy and I keep my refresh rate at 150Mhz 1028/762,everything is as smooth as a babies bottom.:p
Shark

SharkDiver said:

Im one of those people,I can tell between 80 and 100 fps.I have to have 100fps or it drives me crazy and I keep my refresh rate at 150Mhz 1028/762,everything is as smooth as a babies bottom.:p
Shark

I think you mean 150Hz not MHz, you are out by a factor of a million there... Also, you must have one hell of a monitor and graphics card to run it at 150Hz as I didn't know monitors could do more than 100hz, let alone graphics cards support that sort of refresh speed (not in terms of frame rates obviously)

MetalStorm said:

I think you mean 150Hz not MHz, you are out by a factor of a million there... Also, you must have one hell of a monitor and graphics card to run it at 150Hz as I didn't know monitors could do more than 100hz, let alone graphics cards support that sort of refresh speed (not in terms of frame rates obviously)
Yes I do mean Hz,Oops.My monitor is in my sig.SONY G520/P it can go to 250Hz and my card loves it.

I'd have to say >60 if I'm playing online, same for single player. I dont want my frames to drop in the middle of a fire fight.

DMAN505 said:
I'd have to say >60 if I'm playing online, same for single player. I dont want my frames to drop in the middle of a fire fight.
With that rig your frame rate shouldnt drop in any game but FarCry with everything all the way up.:)

Your right, but with HL2 and Doom 3 around the corner I worry about it. I'll end up getting the 6800Ultra or X800XT (whichever is faster and has good IQ) to take care of that problem though. ;)

Back