• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP3 Players

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I am in the market for an MP3 player. It's primary use if for while I am at the gym, out running, or for a few times I may need removable storage for college. If anyone can recommend a player for these purposes I would be very appreciative. There are so many out there and I have read alot of which not to get because some are poor quality, while others use a propriatary(sp?) program and is difficult to use as removable storage without installing said program.

Thanks to anyone with some insight to my inquiry.

If you get one of those, you will also want to get Notmad Explorer by Redchair software. I own a Nomad Jukebox 2 Lx and Creative's software SUCKS!! Notmad is well worth the $25, I promise.

Anything a little cheaper as well? I really do not need so much memory space as 128mb would hold about 2 CD's worth.

You could get a portable cd player that plays mp3s. You can fit about 100 or so mp3's on a cd, which isn't to bad.

Upside they are around 60 bucks or so.
Downside, it's a lot bigger, and can only hold 700mb worth of mp3s.

EDIT: here's one i just foind. NOt sure how good, but for the price...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AERI5/103-0517398-0544651?v=glance

BTW, anyone know where to buy a adapter to hook mp3 players to your car's cd player?

I've seen the adapters that broadcast FM band so there is not a hard connection between devices. Other then that, I have seen the traditional cassette connector like the first portable CD players used in car kits.

Do not get a cd player if you want it for running or the gym. way to big in my mind and even if does say anti skip stuff I personly don't trust it. (had a bad experance.)

For around $70.00 you can pick up 64 mb-128mb ram at almost any store. Go to walmart see what they have and check out prices at amazon and read some reveiws on cnet or other sites you trust.

I believe most decent antiskip cd/mp3 players fully load the entire song into memory in the case of mp3'sso there really isnt anyway to skip it. As to using it as removable storage I dont think any of the cheap lil models will do that for you.

Tacoman667 said:
I've seen the adapters that broadcast FM band so there is not a hard connection between devices.

from my experience these suck. maybe it was my car, but i couldnt live with it. there are a few places that make adapters for your car stereo (would require taking dash apart), and if your stereo has an aux input, its already ready, all you need is a cable.

the Rio Cali is awesome. 256mb. (Upgradeable via SD slot). I'm a runner, and i never leave home without it. I know 256 might be small compared to an ipod mini or something, but how much music do you need to go to the gym with? It also has a built in digital radio if you get bored.

i've got a 256mb muvo look-alike that i love, and which still plays after taking a beating (not cool seeing it bust open on the floor).
if you are going to get one of the 'smaller' capacity players be sure to get one with the fm tuner.

My wife uses the Frontier Labs "Nex IIe" it is a CF based MP3 player so it is easy to swap files it is windows media safe so you can simply drag and drop your files with out any software to the CF card or player via it's USB connector. you can pick it up off eBay for around 60 but you will also need to pick up a CF card but those are dirt cheap now ;) I would give it a higher rating of 8/10 over cnet but read their review of it for more in depth information here is the review at cnet

Well, I popped for a RIO Cali 128MB. Just got it in today and so far it really is nice. Just feels wierd having something so small make such nice sound. The armstrap will be something to get used to while working out but other then that I am loving it. One thing though, I cannot get it to encode MP3 format from my CD's, just WMA. Is there a certain setting I need to use?

i have never used the software, i've always just copied mp3's over using their transfer software. For the best sound use Exact Audio Copy (free prog....google for it), with LAME mp3 encoder.

I have a Creative Nomad MuVo. Its like a cigarete lighter that plays amazing sounds. U just pull out part of it and it has an USB drive its pretty cool.

Back