• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Those that use the SF II as a HSF... quick question:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreIU

I was wondering if it was safe to plug it into the motherboard HSF_power connector. The reason I ask is because my TT Volcano 11 has a 4pin molex connection that goes straight to the powersupply (only connecting the yellow wire to the motherboard). If I am unclear, let me know. Thanks for the help.

I would connect it to PSU. That fan draws more power than I would be comfortable with running through my mobo.

Your mobo manual should indicate what the fan headers are rated for. Compare that to the fan specs and then decide.

Mustanley said:
Your mobo manual should indicate what the fan headers are rated for. Compare that to the fan specs and then decide.

Not enough, I assume they were only designed for the little and slow oem AMD HSF, oh well. Not a problem.

I've been using the ttsf2 as my cpu fan for with no problems. I have it running around 4000 rpm right now.

Are you saying it comes with a 3pin connector along with the 4pin? If that is the case, then the 4pin is for the power, and the 3pin is to monitor the speed of the fan. It allows programs to get the RPMs off the 3pin plug in your board.

If it comes with a 3pin adapter, which is different, then that means its meant for a 3pin power source, in which its perfectly fine to use your motherboard. Although if its a very fast or loud fan, I would recoment using a fan controller for it.

Neeseius said:
Are you saying it comes with a 3pin connector along with the 4pin? If that is the case, then the 4pin is for the power, and the 3pin is to monitor the speed of the fan. It allows programs to get the RPMs off the 3pin plug in your board.

If it comes with a 3pin adapter, which is different, then that means its meant for a 3pin power source, in which its perfectly fine to use your motherboard. Although if its a very fast or loud fan, I would recoment using a fan controller for it.

It odes not come with a 3 and 4 pin connector, only with a 3pin connector. My Volcanoe came with a 3 and 4, so I was just wondering why this wouldnt. I honestly dont see it sucking less power than the Volcano (in my sig). I do have a fan controller for it and plan to use it.

Back