• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech must D I E!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dippy_skoodlez

My Ti4200 just **** on me. Stock heatsink and everything. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This is my 2nd Ti4200 from these morons. My first one overheated and eventually died from the lack of cooling. It was a samll black heatsink, and the fan got stuck a lot. died, I RMA'd it. Not even overclocked.

Got one back, Worked great. for a while. Memory wouldnt overclock, and the GPU ran hotter than my cpu. So much for overclocking. Just turned it on, artifacts on boot screen. Great. take it out, feel heatsink. hot as hell. ASIII and all.

F*** YOU CHAINTECH!

Dont EVER buy a chaintech videocard.

About a year ago I went out and bought a Chaintech 5200 "ultra". I got it home and noticed that the picture quality was crap and it didn't bench any better than my geforce4 mx420 (pci :p). I looked up the model number and found out that it was the stock 5200. Apparently Chaintech uses the same box for their 5200 and their 5200 ultra. The store was selling it as a 5200 Ultra. They didn't know any better. They probably bought them from Chaintech as a 5200 Ultra. After that little incident I don't even look at Chaintech products. I was about 100x more of a newbie than I am now and even I figured out what they were doing.

I had the exact same probs with my AOpen Ti4200. I ended up epoxing an SK6+ to it, but it just seemed to stall its death, rather than prevent it. I think that this wasn't too uncommon an issue in the "lesser" brands with Ti4200's.

Gautam said:
I had the exact same probs with my AOpen Ti4200. I ended up epoxing an SK6+ to it, but it just seemed to stall its death, rather than prevent it. I think that this wasn't too uncommon an issue in the "lesser" brands with Ti4200's.

I took a thermometer to the heatsink, even when it had a 60mm fan attached to it, with a P4 willy heatsink, and it still registered past 130F! My thermometer stopped at that! :eek:

This card is past worthless. It benched 13k stock settings, but only once. never even got close after that. :(

The part that really ****es me off is that its my 2nd card from them with the same issue. This thing is gonna be either in the mail soon, or in a few trillion peices.,

MSI made the best TI4200 by far.... with the copper & plastic heatsink it had going on it was quite an overclocker.

I still think the MSI TI4200 is a great card, too bad its so damn old and no DX9

oh well:cool:

I really don't consider Aopen to be a "lesser' brand. While they don't produce the best performing cards out there, they're far from low end. My MX-400, and Ti-4600 are good examples. Rock solid cards, although their overclocking ability leaves a little to be desired. Like anyone else they have their hits and misses.

I would consider the older Asus cards (Ti4600 & below) series middle-of-the-road in respect to cooling. They don't use reference coolers, but they also don't use anything incredibly large.

Overclock wise, my old Asus Ti4400 still runs this day artifact-free at 300/650 Ti4600 speeds on stock cooling, so that's saying a lot. :)

Can't wait to see their 6800U implementation...

//Edit: Chaintech must DIE. :)

I bought a chaintech gefoce2 pro once from directron. When i got the box the packaging did have a "pro" sticker on it but the cards mem was running at 333mhz. the memory wont even run at 366 without artifacts. to this day i have not purchased another chaintech product, nor anything from directron. Maybe I should have bitched more to directron about the problem but I was in a tight spot and needed the vid card right then, as it was they did remove the "pro" description from their store so others didn't get taken.

Artifacts are graphical glitches that tell you that your card or driver or both are running out of spec ( overclocked ) . Or it could be a driver issue with the given program or even a sign that the videocard is about to die on you .

I had a similar problem with a Gainward Ti 4200. With stock cooling it would freeze if I played a game for more than 20 minutes without my case open. Then after no more than 2 months of owning it, the fan broke on it.

I got a new Thermaltake copper heatsink w/ ramsinks and was hoping to overclock a little - hah! Even with the new heatsink it was running extremely hot, so no overclocking was possible.

Back