• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does UPS suck so bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wa11y

Senior Thread Hijacker
Why does UPS even bother with the yellow "InfoNotice" stickers? Mine says "delivery between 10a-2p." I called their offices at 3:15, and they said that when delivering to a residence, they deliver anywhere between 9am and 7pm. So why do they even bother putting a time on the infonotice? Is there something that can be done about this? Anyone that can be notified or complained to, where the complaint will actually carry some weight, and do some good, or am I just wasting my time?

Actually I am the decision maker at my company on who we use for shipping. We are a small company (600 packages shipped a day) , but I have found UPS to be the best of all small package carriers. I would recommend no matter who you have ship your products to have them delivered to your work address. That way someone is there to recieve it.

hkgonra said:
Actually I am the decision maker at my company on who we use for shipping. We are a small company (600 packages shipped a day) , but I have found UPS to be the best of all small package carriers. I would recommend no matter who you have ship your products to have them delivered to your work address. That way someone is there to recieve it.

The best advice. I totally agree.

I always get stuff delivered to my work address, cause it always gets here on time, and the couriers here deliver twice a day, at 10 and 3. Without fail!

i agree FED ex over ups. seems like faster for me (but its basically the same). airborne, i got issues now. the guy was rude to my mom so now ill try to avoid them.

hkgonra said:

Not all companies allow employees to receive private mail/pacakges at the office.

My beef with UPS...

Why on earth do they deliver to residential addreses at 9:00 in the morning when, it seems awfully logical to me, PEOPLE ARE AT WORK, and then not make anymore delivery attempts later in the day, then do the same thing the next day?

I have never actually had UPS deliver a package to me. I have always had to call and tell them to hold it at the package center and go pick it up myself the next day.

I also get the impression they really don't care. Packages that look like somebody played football with them, unwillingness to budge on delivery times, and generally poor service.

UPS my be great for the vendor, but alot of customers like me hate them. I refuse to shop anywhere that only has UPS as a shipping option.

Synopsis. I always get it a day late and have to get it myself.

The FedEX guy shows up at 4:30 like clockwork and, even though he's not supposed to, will leave packages in the trash can if I'm not there.

Last edited:
UberBlue said:
The FedEX guy shows up at 4:30 like clockwork and, even though he's not supposed to, will leave packages in the trash can if I'm not there.

I bet the trash guy is very happy working your street! :p

The main reason that a UPS or a Fed Ex or any other type courier service would show up at a particular timeframe every time they deliver something to you is most likely because they are passing by your area at around that time every day on their route. Contrary to the belief of many people, they are not working only for you. They are picking up and dropping off packages from lots and lots of places and for optimum efficiency each driver has a route they basically follow, so if that route of businesses that they have to make trips to every day takes them by your house at around 9 am every day, and you have a package to be delivered, chances are that they will come at about 9am. They aren't going to make a special trip out of the way unless there is some special situation going on. As for someone just leaving a package on my doorstep, I would be ****ed if they just left stuff without it being signed for unless I specifically requested them to do it. Never know when someone is gonna be walking by and see it sitting there and just steal it. I have never had a prob with UPS or Fed Ex, but Airborne is the suck.

I have had UPS destroy 2 cases I purchased, sure they got here quick and delivered in a timely fashion, but when you take a case out of the box it is not supposed to fall apart into 4 pieces, with 10 or so litltle peices rattling around. This happened on the same case actually 2 times in a row, needless to say, I am pretty friendly with my UPS guy now. We just got a new guy and packages have been arriving(when I use them) untattered. I have tried to use Fed-EX when ever possible though, they are great, no damaged items that I can remember with FED-EX, plus the chick that delivers to my place is hot:D . Somehow my wife always beats me home though and I hardly ever get to see her:( LOL

UberBlue said:
My beef with UPS...

Why on earth do they deliver to residential addreses at 9:00 in the morning when, it seems awfully logical to me, PEOPLE ARE AT WORK, and then not make anymore delivery attempts later in the day, then do the same thing the next day?

For the 40% that work off shift (like me ;)) + stay at home moms / dads and SOHO business that are listed residential. I have heard many times it's what area of the country over who you use FedEx and UPS are real good to me, but Airborne Sucks bad (I live in a 6 unit and they leave my packages outside my building! No signature at all!). both FedEx, UPS, and USPS are tops with me.
PS both FedEx and UPS hit my house around 9AM and return sometimes at 5PM.

Aktunka said:
The main reason that a UPS or a Fed Ex or any other type courier service would show up at a particular timeframe every time they deliver something to you is most likely because they are passing by your area at around that time every day on their route. Contrary to the belief of many people, they are not working only for you. They are picking up and dropping off packages from lots and lots of places and for optimum efficiency each driver has a route they basically follow, so if that route of businesses that they have to make trips to every day takes them by your house at around 9 am every day, and you have a package to be delivered, chances are that they will come at about 9am. They aren't going to make a special trip out of the way unless there is some special situation going on. As for someone just leaving a package on my doorstep, I would be ****ed if they just left stuff without it being signed for unless I specifically requested them to do it. Never know when someone is gonna be walking by and see it sitting there and just steal it. I have never had a prob with UPS or Fed Ex, but Airborne is the suck.

EXACTLY. You must also realize that UPS and Fedex are built around business to business shipping. Even though they are shipping to residential locations their main focus is on businesses.

I feel that Fedex is a better service than UPS (mainly b/c of less damaged packages and precise deliveries) but you get what you pay for and Fedex is not cheap.

I'm not telling you guys to do the same and no one should have to. But here in NYC things work a little different. You have to stand out a bit. A cup of hot coffee in the winter and a cold gatorade in the summer will go a long way, trust me.

Kid Payne said:
I'm not telling you guys to do the same and no one should have to. But here in NYC things work a little different. You have to stand out a bit. A cup of hot coffee in the winter and a cold gatorade in the summer will go a long way, trust me.

I agree. A nice Christmas present during this time will do wonders.

Always take care of those who take care of you.

on my end, Fedex rules. im on the east coast, and it seems a lot of stuff i order comes from the west coast. Fedex gets it cross country twice as fast as UPS. Fedex saver is 2 days typical and a lot cheaper than UPS 2nd day, Fedex ground is 4 days. UPS ground takes 7-8 days from CA.

I can also count on Fedex showing up within a 1 hour time frame, UPS has a 6 hour time frame.

i don't see why no one likes USPS Priority. I always try to use it when i'm getting things shipped to me and/or when i'm shipping out sales, and I find it takes at maximum 3 days to get there. You might say there's no tracking, and it's uninsured, but even paying for Delivery Confirmation and Insurance it's usually cheaper to go priority than fedex/ups.

pummer said:
i don't see why no one likes USPS Priority. I always try to use it when i'm getting things shipped to me and/or when i'm shipping out sales, and I find it takes at maximum 3 days to get there. You might say there's no tracking, and it's uninsured, but even paying for Delivery Confirmation and Insurance it's usually cheaper to go priority than fedex/ups.

I love those guys, but very few vendors offer this method of shipment. What else can we do? They just don't use it as much.

Back