• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with a p4 2.4c..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viro

Registered
Hey all.
i'm new to this board since I only heard about it today!

I am experiencing some weird issues with my new rig.

I just upgraded from a p3 to a p4 2.4c 800fsb.
I installed an Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo (400mhz), with 512mb DDR400 PC3200.

I dunno how many of you are familiar with tis particular mobo, but it allows for overclocking in a certain particular way. In the bios, under "jumperfree connection" (I beleive) it allows for the cpu to be set manually, or standard, or overclock 5%-30%.

I've read through the stickies both in this thread, and in the beginners threads, and I understand that it's more of a full system issue when overclocking.. not just the cpu.

I do however believe that with this chip, in looking at benchmarks with this board, and reading several reviews about it, that it should be capable of reaching higher speeds.

So far I've only been able to oc it to 2.53, which caused no instability with windows, but did with certain 3d games.
Every time I've tried to oc above 5% with this mobo, the system hangs.. sometimes right at post.

Are there any other ways that I could oc this machine outside of the bios? I got this board thinking that it was capable of ocing with this processor, but so far it's been very unstable. Just wonderin if I'm stuck at 2.4, or if I can really see what this chip can do.

Thanks!

First update your Bios to the latest one...second after you have did that lets get down to business...Do you have good CPU cooling??? Case Cooling???

I just updated my bios last week.
Everything to do with drivers and such should be good. I've made sure of that.

At the moment, my temps are as follows:

CPU: 20c
MB:25c
Fan: 3325
Vcore is steady around 1.800

I have an ultra CPU fan which is (apparently) capable for cooling up to 2.8ghz, with an aluminum heatsink (I kinda stinged out on this unknowingly)

Have two intake fans and one exhaust.. so case should be fairly cool all around.

1st Step: Set the option in Jumperfree connection to Manual and it will display a couple of new items

2nd Step: Where it says External CPU Freq. [200] this is your FSB that is times by 12...you want to increase this in little increments till you can't any more...

3rd Step: now when you have problems after you increase the FSB little by little just raise the Vcore a tad bit and try again...dont go past 1.65 on the Vcore..BTW the Vcore is on auto when u cant go higher increase voltage to 1.550 and so on

4th Step: when you increase your FSB it is also increasing the memory MHz so this is where this comes into play...

5th Step: look for DRAM Freq and that will be set to [Auto] you want to set it to 5:4 which is 333 in the menu when u take auto off...this will run the memory async so you can get a higher OC

6th Step: where it says something like DDR reference voltage its set to auto also...change it from auto and put the max vdimm to 2.85 or whatever is the highest on that board

k here is the thing tho.. where it specifies to change the CPU frequency (2oomhz) it doesn't give me any other options larger than 200! The multiplier is 12, but yeah, I can't change that value when its in standard.

I can change the rest of the values you specified, but that one particular one is locked.

there should be a option somewhere in there to set to Manual and standard and so on like u mentioned in your first post right??? set it to manual

yep I know about that part.. and then it gives a list of all the changable options, like the external cpu freq, dram freq, and voltages and what not.
When I go to change the external CPU frequency, it gives me options of 200 and below.. the figures don't go any higher than that..
this is why I'm wondering if there is another piece of software that will allow me to change it .. cuz the bios won't let me :/

ooooooooo could it be that simple?!?!?
If so you are the MAN!

I will go check now.. thanks for your help, and you too Soph for the steps.. much appreciated!

^ that I did. it's sitting there right now..

well on my first couple attempts I've gotten it up to 2.75 right now. Its easy to tell when it will work or not since my mobo will actually read "overclocking failed".

I wonder just how high I can get it?

Temp is sitting pretty at 25c. Any other tips I should know??

btw.. changing the vcore does what exactly to the chip.. in that I mean, what does assigning more power allow the chip to do? does it make it more capable of reaching higher speeds?

Thanks again.

yes Raising your Vcore enables you to squeeze more MHz outta that baby but you should be able to hit around 3.3GHz on default Vcore

i just run it up to 1.65 and put on the 3:2 divider and see how high it goes....with that voltage and that divider, nothing should hold back the cpu from reaching its limits except for cooling.

yep.. I got the sucker up to 3ghz square.. running like a charm, and no hiccups that I've seen yet.

The only weird thing i've noticed is that in Unreal Tournament 2k4, there are some textures that are being lost in game.
may just be cuz the game is sensitive to overclocking.. but either way, thanks again for all yer help guys!

come to think of it.. one more thing tho...

^^ u mentioned the only real issue to keep in mind is adequate cooling..

right now my cpu temp is sitting at 21 and fluctuating about 2 degrees up and down. I've never seen it rise above 30c, evern during heavy usage.
should i be very weary of keeping it oc'ed at this speed?
also, my core is at 1.625 right now.. should i lower that?

no, mine is at stock voltage 3.3....im saying if you want to see what the max of your chip is, give it 1.65 vcore (i dont recommend more), give your ram the max, and anything else max. lock the agp/pci. put on a 3:2 divider and set the ram to spd or crappy timings. then see how high you can go with the chip.....then pick a point that is reasonable for the divider you want to do....up to 3.3 should be fine with stock voltage.

download Prime95
and run torture test
first two are for proc and third are mem...
this program will mesure your stability and then u can see your temps goes up
post whats happen

Back