• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOTS of IC7 Questions :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

Ok I have the IC7 (first rev) and I have a few questions regarding it and its performance.

1 - Being an ABIT board, does it still read 9-11c higher than real temps or have they fixed that yet, my chip in BIOS reads 49-50c at bootup and 51c idle, just want to make sure im not really that hot at idle.

2 - On this board what will render overall best performance, fastest timings or highest actualy FSB, like should i do 230fsb at 2-5-2-2-1t or would i be better off for say 275fsb 3-8-3-3-2t. My mem being Kingston HyperX is maybe a bit shoddy for either extreme type of OCing but I can upgrade that if needed, currently I can bootup at default timings, 260fsb / 3:2 and fixed 66/33 agp/pci

3 - What advantages does the AI7 have over the IC7 if any?

4 - Would I gain any advantage moving to say the IC7-Max 3 as far as bandwidth and overall performace go?

thanks in advance

1) Temps still read a little higher than other mobos. Depends on the individual mobo, but I'd say more like 4 to 8 degrees higher. If your idle temp is 51 degrees, that sounds a little warm than what I'd like if you are at default vcore and default speed. If you are using air cooling and have that temp at your 275 FSB, then that's probably not bad. What's the load temp?

2) Higher higher FSB is definitely much better even if you have to run relaxed timings. I can run 275 FSB using the 5:4 ratio with both pairs of my PC3500 RAM. Maybe try updating your BIOS and relaxing the RAS to CAS delay timing more like 3,4,3,8 or even 3,4,4,8. Make sure the GAT settings are auto, auto, auto, disable, disable.

3) The AI7 has vdimm settings up to 3.2v, but the IC7 seems to have better and cooler power mosfets... also the IC7 appear to handle extreme FSB a little better than the AI7.

4) The Max 3 has vdimm up to 3.2v, so you might be able to squeak out a little more from your RAM. Not sure it's worth it though for such a tiny performance gain.

thanks that is what i needed to know, i think i need better memory as mine is not to great, its 2.5cas pc3500 and it wont even post at default speed but most agressive timings, so ill try some Geil or something better on my IC7

another issue is the vtt (memory termination)problem, it is supposed to trak at 1/2 the voltage of the memory(but doesnt ). this issue becomes more of a problem the faster u run ur memory and fsb.

Back