• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How about this: ready to go SETI 3in1 software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murphy

Reading a thread in GD about our take over on symantec, I got the next idea:

since none of the used apps uses registry modifications or system files that are copied, why not make a ready to go SETI CLC-SPY-DRIVER package?

Only thing to think about is a standard directory we use this in. Settings are included in the seti folder.

Now we have a how-to on installing seti on your computer, much newbies have problems with it and installing manually increases the barrier to start crunching.

If there is some interrest in this project, I can try to do it, I would need some members to test it.

Kris, if it works, could you take care of a link on the stats-page, probably to some FTP location?

Thanks for your help Mictlan!

I gave it a try immediately. Yes, this is what I had in mind, you had everything configured perfectly (we forget about your Proxy settings in Driver).

But then there is this
C:\Archivos de programa\SETI@home\SETI Driver.exe

... uhm.. LOL :D
That must be the mexican version of windows!

This is one of the problems we need to tackle: we need a general directory where to install it and where most of the users will like it. Some of them don't like to dump it on their root directory.

I had C:/program files/seti in mind, but now there' s the language problem, so I think we just have to go for C:/seti@home. Any suggestions welcome!

GREAT idea guys... GREAT!!!

We will have to email this to folks... or can set it up on Shadow's FTP server...

BTW, C:/SETI@home... the ONLY place to have it is in the root (for all the other 3rd party stuff)

Crunch On!!!

Kris

I will see if this small project can be finished this week. First we need a beta version to test, some members needed to test it! Once it's good, let's get it online.

p.s. I haven't checked yet on the stats site (maybe the 3in1 is yet online), but as there were no new threads here I guess it's not done yet. I will check it tomorrow.

Just wondering... Is this effort made just for the overclockers seti team benefit? If that is the case, language would not be a problem. If it is for everyone's benefit, then we could do a guide in other languages like spanish. (I could help with the spanish stuff if needed)

yeah... I think it was an "our team" effort... but I am the we might also be willing to share... :D

Crunch On!!!

I just tried the 3in1 although I didn't configure it- crunching twice already and don't want to spare the cycles!

How about a readme file with instructions/ urls in the zip?

If my ftp server is still running (isp problems!) I can put it up there; just need someone to test the server.

Back