• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.5GHz AMD Athlon Palomino Overclocks To 2.4GHz !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myself and I

Disabled
Yes....i'm drooling all over my keyboard again...as Mike Magee brings us news that the upcoming desktop version of the AMD Athlon Palomino.....flying at a default speed at 1.53GHz...this Palomino will be the most awesome overclocker we have ever seen.....get your money ready for this puppy !!! :)

That means overclockability on the mobile Athlon 4 family of a 1.8GHz clock speed (18 times 100MHz), and as much as 2.4GHz (18 times 133MHz) on the up and coming 1.5GHz Palominos.

So the overclockers had better oil their fans and lubricate their heat sinks ready for the day.

Source: The Inquirer - More Information http://www.theinquirer.net/10080101.htm

amdmb.com is the source of the info

I will be upgrading my slot a motherboard currently running a 1000mhz to a DDR when this chip comes out. I feel sorry for the people who just bought the 1.2 or 1.333 chips LOL

Myself and I said:
Yes....i'm drooling all over my keyboard again...as Mike Magee brings us news that the upcoming desktop version of the AMD Athlon Palomino.....flying at a default speed at 1.53GHz...this Palomino will be the most awesome overclocker we have ever seen.....get your money ready for this puppy !!! :)

That means overclockability on the mobile Athlon 4 family of a 1.8GHz clock speed (18 times 100MHz), and as much as 2.4GHz (18 times 133MHz) on the up and coming 1.5GHz Palominos.

So the overclockers had better oil their fans and lubricate their heat sinks ready for the day.

Source: The Inquirer - More Information http://www.theinquirer.net/10080101.htm

amdmb.com is the source of the info

I will be upgrading my slot a motherboard currently running a 1000mhz to a DDR when this chip comes out. I feel sorry for the people who just bought the 1.2 or 1.333 chips LOL
you dont have to be sorry for us
we only paid a Maximum of about $180
we could get these and put it in our mobos
we might "accidently" fry our Tbirds

Just because it supports higher multipliers doesn't mean it will overclock farther. It's a natural progression. Right now the limit is 12.5 which means you could only overclock your 1.53 by a little over 100 MHz. Just because the multipliers support up to 18 doesn't mean it will overclock to 2.4 GHz!

Here's a good example. Joe Schmoe goes and buys an AXIA Y 1.0 GHz. His multipliers go up to 12.5. Will his CPU overclock to 1.66? VERY unlikely unless he has some SERIOUS cooling and voltage mods. Most people boost their FSB. Say Joe tries to run it at 150 x 12.5. Will it work? HELL NO! :) (okay, maybe 1 out of 100 will work at this speed)

Also, from what I've heard, early tests of the Palominos show they don't overclock as well as the Thunderbirds. But Palominos are still faster so they'll probably be just about even. The Palominos will probably have a slight edge over the Thunderbirds, but they won't overclock to 2.4 GHz. I promise you that much.

BTW... the inquirer isn't a very reliable source of info. For months they proclaimed that the A7A266 was a horrible mobo cause it ran CPU's 10 degrees hotter and therefore should not be bought. That whole time Asus was acknowledging that there was a problem but the problem was that the temp was simply read 10 degrees higher then it really was.

VecchK said:
Just because it supports higher multipliers doesn't mean it will overclock farther. It's a natural progression. Right now the limit is 12.5 which means you could only overclock your 1.53 by a little over 100 MHz. Just because the multipliers support up to 18 doesn't mean it will overclock to 2.4 GHz!

I have multiplier to 15 and have posted as high as 13.5. Most MSI boards have the option up to 15, especialy if you are running a 200mhz FSB CPU. It all boils down to getting that one lucky stepping that will rock. As a whole I would not get all that excited about the Palomino, but remember that all steppings are not created equal.

The Theoretical versus what is accomplishable is 2 different stories . I do agree the maximum in theory is incredible but doubtful it will happen. Good reading though.

Maestro

Assuming you could overclock that fast, the heat generated and the cooling required would be insane.

i think your baseing your theory on the old t-bird core. The palimino is totally different when it comes to power consumption. I bet the 1530 mhz chip will overclock easy to 2gigertz plus with the sk6 heatsink or even water cooling. If you have up to 18x multiplier and you start out with a voltage of 1.4 or even 1.55 at 1530 mhz why do you think raising the voltage to 1.8 wont work for another 470mhz. Raise the FSB to 150 and your up to 2100mhz easy.

You pump 1.80 volt into a .13 micron Palimo core, with its transistors so tightly packed, and you'll fry the mother in 30 seconds. That's why it's spec'd to run at 1.4 volts or lower.

Um... Isn't the palomino still a 0.18µm process?

Unless I'm mistaken the P4 will be making the 0.13µm jump this year, followed by AMD in early-mid '02 (think its called throughbred?).

The desktop palomino runs at nearly the same voltage (if not the same) as the thunderchicken (t-bird). The 1.4v is for the 'moblie' version.

cheers!

palomino is .18micron and a 1.2 is priced slightly higher then a 1.4 tbird. it runs 1.2v@500Mhz and 1.4v@rated speed (speedstep/auto shutdown - whatever).

Where did you here this?

The current Athlon 200 bus processor's that are 1300 and 1400MHz use 5 L1 bridges which can get a possible 17X Multiplier at MAX. Now, the Palamino's also use 5 bridges for the CPU, and this means theycan have a 17X limit as well. Unless CPU's move to 6 bridges for L1, you aint going to be able to get higher than 17X, no matter what!

The 200MHz Front side bus will end at 1.7GHz, I'm not to sure about the 266FSB thou, they might keep it going with throughbred and possibly countinue behond 2GHz mark.

With the current Palamino core, the highest possible attainable CPU speed with 266FSB is 2266MHz

I belive its possible but its going to be realy realy hard to cool down a cpu tahts overclocked like allmost a 1ghz more then spec......i dont know anybody in there RIGHT MIND that would spend lets say about 500US on this 1.5ghz palomino when its first out and then overclock it that much....i think there is a high probility that it was fry and there is 500 down the drain..well i am waiting for somebody rich to do this just because wehre i live ect... and my current hours PT it would take me about 2 months to buy that chip its around 750 my dollars if i am close on 500$ a chip in 1000s qty

Back