• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Memory Cooling Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valid

Just a quick question for anyone who's used one of these. What's the most efficient method of placing them? I know Thermaltake lists 3 options on their site, but I think I'm going to simply use arctic silver thermal adhesive and paste the heatsinks themselves on the chips of the memory (PC2100). I know Andy's used these and put an article up about it on his site, but I couldn't find which method he's used. Any help would be appreciated.

I think that memory sinks for removing heat on SDRAM is a waste. Now maybe that's different with RAMBUST and DDR. But SDRAM doesn't get hot enough to warrant heatsinks.

However I have put the DDR heatsinks in that memory cooling package on my SDRAM. Why? Because it's blue. I use it for looks.

As for placing it, that's what makes this stuff worthless. They give you two sided tape. But if your memory is under waranty, then you have the factory stickers on it, and they don't move heat too well. And the others are clip on, but you still have the stickers from the manufacturer in the way.

Memory heatsinks are a waste. I have never felt memory get very warm. Maybe 100F. And DDR doesn't get much warmer. Good memory shouldn't get very warm anyway. Resistance is what makes memory hot. And good memory will have a low resistance. That makes sense to me.

I on the other hand disagree, bu I am probably more of a n33b to the overclocking scene than others. I have placed the Ram "heatsinks" on both sides of my 512 MB stick of Nunya DDR, I have also placed a killer Northbridge Cooler from cpufx (A smaller version of the "Core" HSF, and put more of the Anodized blue RAMsinks on my southbridge. I think it looks nice, if you never have a case on or even a "window" view. I recently stopped by autozone, and picked up a blue neon light, and some blue neon light wire.
As of right now, I only have my Vision GF3 AGP card in the system, with all rounded cables. I'm using the sound, and LAN off the mobo. I know the sound isn't as great as it could be, but the system is clean!
I have a 40g, 60g, and 13.4g HDD along with a DVD/CD/CDRW combo drive, and my 1.44 floppy. I tie wrapped all of the wires from every fan, PSU wires, etc.. so the mobo isn't covered at all. It looks empty so every little thing on the mobo is visible.
I got way off topic, but you see where I'm coming from I hope!
Just my 5 cents though...;)

Would71 said:
The only cooling my pair of DDR DIMMs get is from me bending the ATA-66 cable just right so that it scoops some of the front intake blowhole fan's air right down into the center of the DIMM area. It seems to be all that's required to keep them nice and comfortable, temperature-wise. I saw the RAMsinks and thought about them, but I just don't think they're worth the extra money and effort. I'll prob. never have a window on my case, so it doesn't really matter in the looks department, either. (prob. why I use electrical tape to round cables and tighten up PSU wiring harnesses instead of those plastic looms or whatever) :D

That's a great idea! I'm not all about the looks though, I'm all about it all ;)
I've spent the majority of my time finding the right combination of cooling, and equipment, now I'm working on cosmetics.

Thanks for the info all. I really don't want to get into the debate of whether or not memory heat sinks do something or not. If you want an article, you can check www.wildandyc.co.uk/cooling/ttramsinks for proof or information. I'm definitely planning on upping the voltage to the limits through the RAM. I do have DDR and not SD (as evidenced by the 2100). In addition, I'm already planning on taking the stickers off. The tape doesn't matter, because I'm going to be affixing it with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive. (Mix some part A, some part B, and there you have it). Any further information for a setup with those specifics?

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing that my minor investment is paying off as well. I'm running F@H, along with SETI to ensure stability at these settings:
Cycle @ 2
command rate @ 1T
and my system is sailing along at [email protected], and I haven't hit the top yet! I will keep pushing this Aircooled beast until she gives me some mem dumps, but until then, happy cooling :)

Well, my EP-8K7A is more cramped than I previously thought. I'm going to have to slightly "modify" the memory heatsinks to get them to fit. I think I'm just going to mount the heatsinks themselves to the chips and just junk the blue spreader bar things.

Heres another website that recently did an article on it. In conclusion they also question the necessity of adding them. Does Thermaltake actually state that there is a performance increase when oc'ing the FSB?

Back