• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some EPoX EP-8K7A info.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valid

Since this is a popular motherboard, I figured maybe we could start a thread to share knowledge on it.

I found that my Swiftech MC-462A hsf will fit on it, but because of the placement of the capacitors (I believe that's what they are) around the CPU socket, a Thermaltake Blue Orb won't fit on the northbridge. Well, at least it won't fit without some modifications that I assume would hamper cooling ability.

I just got my 8k7a+ yesterday and it came with the newest BIOS already on it. Also, I have an Enermax 431w psu and my 5v never goes under 4.92v. I think it may be a new revision that fixed that problem. So far I love it along with my Mushkin PC2400 ram and 1ghz ayhja athlon.

Dunno what the heck is going on but I am having some terrible troubles, I cannot even get the thing clocked to the benchmark (1.33 Ghz)
I tried to move the jumpers on the mobo to the correct slot for 133 MHZ implementation but all that got me was no USB mouse, i am sorry if I sound like I dont know what I am talking about but the truth is....I dont know what I am talking about, I am a guy who spent alot of money on parts so he could try to get into the overclocking game cause it seems like a lot of fun. I am TOTALY lost and begging for help in how to do this the right way....look at my list and PLEASE help me...I am frustrated now in a BIG way.

List:
8K7A+
Athlon 1.33 AJHYA (however its spelled?)
SwiftTech MC462A Rev.1
Crucial PC2100/DDR
Radeon 64 DDR
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
(2) IBM 60GXP Deskstar's (20 gig each) on RAID 0
ThermalTake Memory Cooling thingamabobs
2CoolPC Turbo
Extra fans everywhere (not really only 3 of them total including the 2CoolPC)
New Antec huge case with 300W PS

I will use this thread then :)

System:
OS-Windows ME.
Epox 8K7A REV 1.0-Bios ver. 07/11/2001
Cpu- AMD 1.4ghz stepping=AYHJA-K,SK6/30cfm delta.
Memory-1 Crucial 2100,256mb unbuffered, non ecc @ 2.7v with Thermaltake heat spreaders.
Video Card-Visiontek GF3, Nvidia driver ver. 10.80,Dx 8.1 ver 620.
Not overclocked.
Sound-SB Live value. Using default Windows ME drivers. SB16 emulation disabled.
NIC- 3com Etherlink 3C905B-TX.
Hard Drives-C: IBM 75GXP 30GB,D: IBM 60GXP 40GB onboard controller.
CDRW-Plextor 8/4/32a.
Floppy Drive-Teac 1.44mb.
Power Supply-PC Power & Cooling Turbocool 425w.

Problems:
System would not boot from known good boot disks.
Fixed-Reversing both ends of drive cable.

+5v low 4.93v idle 4.91 load.
Fixed-Replaced Enermax model 365 with Turbocool 425w,+5 now +5.05 idle +5.05 load. (Not a big problem but I used the psu from my intel rig and needed another psu anyway)

Current overclock:
1550mhz-10X155fsb-Voltage setting +.1, 1.90v per SiSoft Sandra,Memory-16-8-8-2-6-2.5-2

Prime 95 30 tests=Passed
3d mark 2000=Score 9973.
3d mark 2001=Score 5701.
SiSoft Sandra memory score-ALU/RAM 683mbs,FPU/RAM 892mbs.

Last edited:
Boot problems, FF on boot

Has anyone had this problem with their 8k7a(+) yet? It was working a week ago, but now when I power it up I get that FF on boot error, not the FF after the bios gives control to the OS. I do not get any video. I have tried reseating everything: mem, video card, and proc. No other cards besides the video card. I have seen in other forums its the bios chip going bad, but that has to have a process right? I cant figure out this voodoo magic where one day its working and another day its dead. Thanks for any suggestions.

I removed any AS2 I could see around all of the chip that didn't need it. I guess I will just have to RMA this board. Thanks.

What bios version?
The 03/10 one is supposed to have some bug in it that causes that.
So I guess if anyone else has that bios they should update it as soon as they can.

I guess it was the 3/10 bios. I am not positive however. Its a revision 1.0 board. I am hoping to get an RMA at newegg for this 1.1 I have been hearing about.

My 5v line is at 4.76 but I don't have any problems.I'm running my 1.2 @1425 (150x9.5)Where would I see the problems if I were to have them?

VideoPhreak said:
Dunno what the heck is going on but I am having some terrible troubles, I cannot even get the thing clocked to the benchmark (1.33 Ghz)
I tried to move the jumpers on the mobo to the correct slot for 133 MHZ implementation but all that got me was no USB mouse, i am sorry if I sound like I dont know what I am talking about but the truth is....I dont know what I am talking about, I am a guy who spent alot of money on parts so he could try to get into the overclocking game cause it seems like a lot of fun. I am TOTALY lost and begging for help in how to do this the right way....look at my list and PLEASE help me...I am frustrated now in a BIG way.

List:
8K7A+
Athlon 1.33 AJHYA (however its spelled?)
SwiftTech MC462A Rev.1
Crucial PC2100/DDR
Radeon 64 DDR
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
(2) IBM 60GXP Deskstar's (20 gig each) on RAID 0
ThermalTake Memory Cooling thingamabobs
2CoolPC Turbo
Extra fans everywhere (not really only 3 of them total including the 2CoolPC)
New Antec huge case with 300W PS

I have this problem too, when I set my board to 133x9.5. USB fails everyother boot. Only thing that seems unstable about it really. Only thing I can think of is to replace the USB keyboard with a old PS2. If anyone know how to fix this, it would be great.

Back