• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Mod Gallery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Please inform me if you can see the pictures. Just to make sure.

Ok

Bitfenix prodigy ITX with motherboard vertical instead of horizontal. All work done by hand tools.

Thanks for viewing

final3.jpg
final2.jpg
final1.jpg
final.jpg

Rusty

Whats up with the heat pipes on the hdd's?

That post was from 2007 and the member hasn't posted since 2008. I doubt you'll get a reply from him. But to answer your question it's to cool the HDD's obviously. Overkill? Extreme.

That post was from 2007 and the member hasn't posted since 2008. I doubt you'll get a reply from him. But to answer your question it's to cool the HDD's obviously. Overkill? Extreme.
figured, but still heat pipes on a hdd, come on.

I wonder what kind of temps he was getting with those pipes on his HDD. I didnt find anything that looks like the pic but I did find this. There arent any claims as to what temps you can get. I keep a fan on mine and sit around 26-30C depending on load. Adding in the pipes must do wonders.

The only way I could see a use for this is on a server that is constantly spinning the platters and poor rack ventilation. With good ambient temps and proper case/rack airflow the drive shouldn't need any cooling. If there is poor airflow then I could see the fan mounts like you have, but heatsinked? Doubtful.

The only way I could see a use for this is on a server that is constantly spinning the platters and poor rack ventilation. With good ambient temps and proper case/rack airflow the drive shouldn't need any cooling. If there is poor airflow then I could see the fan mounts like you have, but heatsinked? Doubtful.

2.5 inch drive in my laptop heats up to 50-ish if I dont have it on the cooling pad. My main rig though, when I had the drives in a smaller case would reach 60-65 without active cooling. Thats pretty warm to the touch. I much prefer to have the 30-ish temps... but I dont need heatpipes to get it either :)

I dont know that its neccesary either, but it looks cool

Back