• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I want the highest score or highest clock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Now when overclocking, would I want to keep my clock speeds so that I get the highest score in benchmarks, or do I want the highest clock speeds without artifacts?

highest score, highest clock doesn't really do you much good if it's slower than the lower clock.

edit: unless you mean highest score but with artifacts, that you don't want.

usually highest clock = highest score, but artifacts are bad, and you don't want them. And besides posting an uber-high bench score that has loads of artifacts is dishonest to the benchmarking community.

Highest score. Sometimes you can overclock your card to a point where it's not artifacting, but errors are being made, and enough of them to offset the increased clock speed.

Cyberwiz01 said:
usually highest clock = highest score, but artifacts are bad, and you don't want them. And besides posting an uber-high bench score that has loads of artifacts is dishonest to the benchmarking community.

Actually I can overclock this thing pretty well. But my score starts to go down after 432/372. But it can handle more than that.

without artifacts, but scores still go down?

prob means there are artifacts, but they're nearly undetectable

Well, the thing is this. If my score goes down, and I overclock it some more, my score starts to go back up.

Also, is XP or 2k better for games/benchmarks?

win 2k is way better for amd rigs. not sure for intel, but keep your current os, dont bother with a reinstall. hows your 3dmarks after the overclock? 430/370 is what the average 9800 pro overclocks to. broke 17k yet? compare link to your best score? make sure everything is set to performance, show me a score that beats the one in my sig ;)

Use 3dmark03 for testing your videocard. 3dmark01 is more cpu/ram dependent, thus less accurate than 3dmark03 when comparing card scores. I only score 11-12k on 3dmark01, but 6100 on 3dmark03. My cpu just isn't fast enough to bring in a higher score on 3dmark01.

Can anyone confirm that win2k is better for amd? I'm gonna be formating agian soon and want to get best performance. I really like XP features that aren't in win2k, so I'm hoping it's not true.

on straight untweaked installs, xp will probably be ever so slightly slower than 2k because of its many features (and bloat). however, you wouldnt be able to notice than .02% performance loss nearly as much as a feature that you want xp and wont have in 2k.

oc550, my 9800np 400/325 / barton2.2(200x11) on xp with everything set to QUALITY with all of my backround apps running, will still beat your ti4200 in 3dmarks. let it die already

thats cause you got a barton and your cpus almost as fast as mine. youd probably get 17k marks or so. Nice score cerebus, thats 7k ahead of your fx5600! your card will last you years to come, a faster cpu will bring the beast within your card ;)

wait and save up for an a64, I am doing the same. youll be blown away by one of those guys, can we say 25k marks? ill be aiming for like 20k myself

Overclocker550 said:
wait and save up for an a64, I am doing the same. youll be blown away by one of those guys, can we say 25k marks? ill be aiming for like 20k myself

You going to get a new video card as well so you don't bottleneck that CPU all up?

I forgot to mention that 20k is with my ti4200. I will upgrade when the time comes, but it will be something much better than a 9800 pro. think something like pci-e with 32 pipes and 512 bit ram years from now

Overclocker550 said:
I forgot to mention that 20k is with my ti4200. I will upgrade when the time comes, but it will be something much better than a 9800 pro.

now your talking.

use the ti4200 if you must with a new system, then when you have the money...get the new card. (or everything all at once.)

mica

glad to see we can agree on something. I have decided I wont bother with a newer agp card, I will just stick my ti4200 in there and wait for pci-e then upgrade all over again when amd goes 65nm. I may get the 130nm if I have the money LOL since 90nm has been delayed

Back