• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arecibo Observatory gets 7-pixel eye on the sky that will make world's most sensitive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Ulli

Arecibo Observatory gets 7-pixel eye on the sky that will make world's most sensitive

alfa06.72.jpg

ARECIBO, P.R.. -- The Arecibo Observatory telescope, the largest and most sensitive single dish radio telescope in the world, is about to get a good deal more sensitive.

Today (Wednesday, April 21) the telescope got a new "eye on the sky" that will turn the huge dish, operated by Cornell University for the National Science Foundation, into the equivalent of a seven-pixel radio camera.

The complex new addition to the Arecibo telescope was hauled 150 meters (492 feet) above the telescope's 1,000-foot-diameter (305 meters) reflector dish starting in the early morning hours. The device, the size of a washing machine, took 30 minutes to reach a platform inside the suspended Gregorian dome, where ultimately it will be cooled and then connected to a fiber optic transmission system leading to ultra-high speed digital signal processors. The new instrument is called ALFA (for Arecibo L-Band Feed Array) and is essentially a camera for making radio pictures of the sky. ALFA will conduct large-scale sky surveys with unprecedented sensitivity, enabling astronomers to collect data about seven times faster than at present, giving the telescope an even broader appeal to astronomers.

Full Story at Cornell

Sir Ulli

Sweet! Its really exciting how much progress is being made in science these days. Lots of good stuff to learn about.

Cy

I whole heartedly agree with IMOG's statement. Keep it up Sir Ulli. Though I am new to the team and this forum I find the articles and information you post enjoyable to read. I look forward to more.

PS. I also enjoy the lively debates I've been reading. Oh so tempting to chime in :D

Back