• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding@Once Installer: I need your help devleoping it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Radar

EDIT: THIS ROUND OF ALPHA TESTING IS OVER. PLEASE DELETE ANY COPIES YOU HAVE LOCALLY. A NEW THREAD WILL BE STARTED WHEN I'M READY TO RELEASE THE FEATURE COMPLETE BETA FOR TESTING.

I'm writing a FAH4 installer which will have the following features (when it's done):

*One-Click(TM) type Install - NOT YET
*Automatic CPU Type/Features Detection & Optomized Flag Loading - WORK-IN-PROGRESS
*Win98/ME Compatible - NOT YET
*Automatic Client Download - NOT YET
*Saves Log File - NOT YET

I need to test the CPU type/features detection however I only have a non-SSE Athlon, an AthlonXP, a non-SSE Duron, and a 2 GHz Celeron to test with at my house. Attached is a zip file containing the installer (really just a CPU feature detector at this point) and the source code (please respect the copyright notice and do not redistribute this unfinished code, I'll re-release it under the GPL when it's finished). It tests for the following items:

CPU Vendor (GenuineIntel, AuthenticAMD, others)
SSE
SSE2
Hyperthreading
(and on AMD CPUs)
3DNow!
x86-64 (A64/Opteron/FX 64-bit extentions)

Just run the attached EXE and see if it correctly reports your CPU's features (to exit press any key). If any of those are detected wrong on your computer please post which one was detected wrong and what CPU you have. If you think something is wrong please double-check it against a CPUID program (like WCPUID, GCPUID, or CPU-Z) before posting.

Last edited:
On my XP2100 T-bred B:

Found an authentic AMD CPU
SSE detected
No SSE2 detected
No hyperthreading detected
3dnow! extensions found
no x86-64 found

P3 800 MHz
Found genuine Intel cpu
sse detected
No sse2 detected
No Hyperthreading detected
No 3Dnow! found
No x86-64 found

i'll try on my a64 here in a minute.

here's my results:

Found an AuthenticAMD CPU
SSE Detected!
SSE2 Detedted! (typo in the program)
No HyperThreading Detected
3DNow! extensions found!
x86-64 extensions found!

Found an AuthenticAMD CPU
SSE support detected!
No SSE2 support detected
No HyperThreading support detected
3DNow! extentions found!
No x86-64 support detected

Seems to have worked here as well. :)

This is what it read off my computer.

Found a GenuineIntel CPU
SSE support detected!
SSE2 Detected!
HyperThreading Detected. Using 2-client setup.

I like your program. It says I have HT even though I don't. :) Heh but hey I'm running a P4b so it shouldn't have said it had HT?

On my P4 1.4 it says:

Found a GenuineIntel CPU
RAW FEATURE DATA: 3FEBFBFF
SSE support detected!
SSE2 Detected!
HyperThreading Detected. Using 2-client setup.

Even though this P4 doesn't have hyperthreading.

I've finally figured out what's wrong with the HTT detection. I just searched Intel's site for information on cpuid. Apparently it returns true on the HTT bit if the processor's microarchitechture supports HTT, reguardless of weather or not it's enabled. You have to make a seperate cpuid call to get information on weather HTT is enabled.

I'm going to declare this round of debugging/testing over. I'll repost a new beta version when I have all the features added. So far I've got CPU detection, logging, and automatic downloading working and I should have the rest of the inastller finished by the end of the week at the very most.

Last edited:
looks good here on my backup rig, 750 duron @ 825

found an AuthenticAMD CPU
RAW FEATURE DATA: 183FBFF
no SSE support detected
no SSE2 support detected
no HyperThreading support detected
3DNow! extensions found!
no x86-64 support detected

Back