• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Can-tenna

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't remember where I got it from .... It was in a word file that I strated writing around 6 months back... if you need the measurments converting let me know.

My router uses 54Mbps wireless networking so it's capable of running at those speeds, But my Pocket computers CFII wireless adapter is only 11Mbps. At the closest office I get between 4-6Mbps but that is because there is no antenna on it.

penquissciguy said:
I found the calculations on the web, so I'm set. Hope to order up the parts for one of these soon.

Ken

Great news...... once you have it built post some pics.... maybe we can get a Can-Tenna gallary going! :D

Uhh, am I missing something?? What does this plug into, a standard wireless pci card? Do you unscrew the antenna thats on it and put this on? Sorry for my lack of knowlege, but a wireless network has been out of my budget.

The can-anttena would attach to either the wireless network router or the PCI card. The attachment that you connect the pigtail lead to should have the same connector as your PCI card or Router.

Mine is N-type but there are 3 differnet types that I am aware of.

Is there a list of PCMCIA cards that has connections for the pigtail? Ive never been able to connect to my campus wireless network, so with a small home made cantenna these problems would definetely be solved.

no the pigtail is just the cable it's the type of connector at the end that matters. IF you go to the manufactuters website it will tell you the type of connector the card uses. As i i said there are 3 types I know of TNC (Linksys, Cisco), SMA (Netgear, D-Link) or Lucent (Buffalo) these might change depending on product but the manufactures tend to stick to the same type throught the range but double check.

OKJEFF4 said:
Hmm, my new lappy has built in antennas. I guess I have to do some crazy solder hack job to do this. Any tips?

The built ins are just mini pci cards with two antena ports that connect to the antena that goes around the screen.

And the wireless cards need different pigtails than the wireless routers. A good place to find them is www.fab-corp.com

chkptcharlie said:
so i wonder what would happen if i used the spare sattelite dish instead of a can..... hmmmm. wonder if it'd be worth my time finding out.

The thing about this is that it concentrates the singal. It pure line of sight. A cantenna alone will give you lee-way on where you are in front of it. To do the satellite method, you have to have on dish on each end.

For use with the satelite dish, you still need something to "aim" the signal towards the dish. Something like a cantenna. I saw an article a while back where someone put the can on the arm that stick out the front of the dish, then aimed it towards the milddle of the dish. Something like that could work, but might be harder to aim it properly.

SpaceRangerJoe said:
For use with the satelite dish, you still need something to "aim" the signal towards the dish. Something like a cantenna. I saw an article a while back where someone put the can on the arm that stick out the front of the dish, then aimed it towards the milddle of the dish. Something like that could work, but might be harder to aim it properly.

Check out one of my earlier posts, that is what I did. :)

Back