• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Can-tenna

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
question: how far, rooftop to rooftop, could 2 80211b prigles ca-ntennas work? i'm moving into town soon and have some friends that would be willing to do this with me...possilby a triagle? is there a way to set up 2 can-tannas on a single acess point?

howabout a local signal AND a directed one? i'd like ot only buy one acess point, and mayube boost the individual signals for it...maybe 2 or 3 directed signals to people and my local one for when i get a laptop.

Como said:
question: how far, rooftop to rooftop, could 2 80211b prigles ca-ntennas work? i'm moving into town soon and have some friends that would be willing to do this with me...possilby a triagle? is there a way to set up 2 can-tannas on a single acess point?

howabout a local signal AND a directed one? i'd like ot only buy one acess point, and mayube boost the individual signals for it...maybe 2 or 3 directed signals to people and my local one for when i get a laptop.

I know you can do this with Linksys. You can tell their individual antennas to send, recieve, or do both. Set them to both, hook the cantenna up to one then a regular or omni-directional antenna to the other spot.

Hmm, and Ad-Hoc triangle. That's tricky ish right there. Maybe some of those military boosters from HyperlinkTech will work. Try it.

military stuff = money

como = no money :)

como = no military stuff :(

i trangle would be a later project, i'd like ot start with a 2 way can to can network...to play LANS on. (dialup makes internet play = poo)

my friend has a linksys 802.11b wireless/wired router. ifi set both antennas to both, then attatched one to a can, then did the same at my house, how far could i get a signal? (we're moving to that town soon and i'm hoping it will be in range)

LOL to be honest i have never really checked that... although durring the humid season the range is reduced by about a mile or two...... anyone living in this part of the world will understand why.

well beats the system to a pulp but now needs to make it look nice and pretty.. lol

Como said:

My personal maximum is about 2 miles with the pringles cantenna and a somewaht obscured line of sight. . Although I'm fairly confident that a wave guide cantenna would probably go further.

I took advantage of the fresnal zone to clear tree obstacles.

The polarization thing is a little tricky. Make sure your antennas match.

The trick is the alignment. It takes a minimum of 2 people and a bit of patience.

There are plans on the web that show you how to use a Primestar reflector with your wave guide. This helps to focus your signal and limit your VSWR.

Trevor Marshall has a great web site for this stuff: http://www.trevormarshall.com

The problem with setting up two antennas on a single AP with amplification is that your loss of signal is essentially half, depending upon: (Check FCC rules for amplified signal issues in the unlicenced 802.11 band.)

1. Length of cable to the splitter.
2. Length of pig tail to the antenna.

It probably would work fairly well if you mounted the AP on the roof with the antennas using really short pig tails. The use ethernet for the long run. Again, Trevor Marshall has some good info on his site about this stuff.

Good Luck

FarEast said:
you don't really need it on the receiving end....

But for this to work the recieving ends transmitter has to get a signal back to the originating transmitter. I do not understand how it is possible that your Pocket computers CFII wireless adapter has the power to transmit back without its own Directional Antenna.

I think that the cantenna on the transmission end recieves the signal back. Maybe a cantenna can send AND recieve.

Of course it can! (No pun intended) Think about it guys If your antenna can only send or recieve you would need two antenna on everything wireless......antenna can recieve and send.

One of my projects for Wireless Technologies class was to build a Waveguide antenna (Cantenna).

Our group decided to go all-out, and custom build it. We got our hands on some galvanized piping, capped one end, and built it to within a few millimeters of the 2.4GHz wave specifications. Unfortunately, we havn't had a chance to test it yet (the first card we tried was broken, and the second one we tried had a faulty pigtail :(). Although not exactly cheap, we expect that this one will get a better signal than using another can, which would not be built as closely to specifications.

dsc03733.jpg
dsc03732.jpg
More Photos..

bumping this interesting post...

I have highspeed internet, and i use land lines for everything. If I wanted to move a computer, but don't have wireless in my house... can I get a PCI card, and build an antenna and steal my neighbors wireless? I live in the suburbs, where everyone has wireless. I get a very low signal/no signal from someone around me on my laptop, so I know wireless is close, and not protected with WEP.

I can easily make this antenna... and I have access to a PCI wireless card. Should I do this to get wireless?

Clean_Baldy said:
bumping this interesting post...

I have highspeed internet, and i use land lines for everything. If I wanted to move a computer, but don't have wireless in my house... can I get a PCI card, and build an antenna and steal my neighbors wireless? I live in the suburbs, where everyone has wireless. I get a very low signal/no signal from someone around me on my laptop, so I know wireless is close, and not protected with WEP.

I can easily make this antenna... and I have access to a PCI wireless card. Should I do this to get wireless?
Stealing neighbor's wireless = bad. Just buy your own router.. they're getting cheap nowadays.

so this can send it a mile or two..or more?! man..why don't they make routers with their own cans on them? if u saw routers with ranges in feet..and then one in miles...it might draw someone's attention

I have high speed in the house already, as does everyone... so, its technically not "stealing"

Its more like using their bandwidth over their router, instead of mine :)

The only reason I am even considering it, is because I want to make this neat little antenna, and actually have it work...

You guys didn't answer what I was really trying to ask... Will this work?

Clean_Baldy said:
I have high speed in the house already, as does everyone... so, its technically not "stealing"

Its more like using their bandwidth over their router, instead of mine :)
?

Regardless of what you think it's very illegal ,theft or hijacking of network resourses or airtime could land you in a whole pile of trouble, I frequently scan for intruders on my network and wouldn't think twice about reporting such abuse.

Clean_Baldy said:
The only reason I am even considering it, is because I want to make this neat little antenna, and actually have it work...

Then do what others have stated BUY THE ROUTER.

Clean_Baldy said:
You guys didn't answer what I was really trying to ask... Will this work?

Of course it does ...... I wouldn't have written a walk through otherwise :bang head

Back