• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Can-tenna

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
need supplies

I went to a local radio shack and could not find the connectord i needed !!!!!!!! PLEASE does anyone know where to get the connector pieces to adapt on to the router and to the wire??? Should i try a different RATSHACK? Also u think it would be possible to hook up into a CB base station anntena? :)

Sumcrazyguy21 said:
I went to a local radio shack and could not find the connectord i needed !!!!!!!! PLEASE does anyone know where to get the connector pieces to adapt on to the router and to the wire??? Should i try a different RATSHACK? Also u think it would be possible to hook up into a CB base station anntena? :)
By law, the connectors on these wireless adaptors must be proprietary, so that consumers must buy the specific antennas that are rated for it. Your best bet is an electronic parts store. You will need to find the name of the connector.. for example, cisco uses Reverse-TNC's. You could try a CB antenna, but I'm not sure how well that would work... it's made for a completely different frequency range (although, it may be a standard dipole at the heart of it).

You could also try ripping apart an existing antenna, but you will be destroying a perfectly good antenna (and will have nothing to fall back on should your modding fail)

Where to i get the conectors from pigtail to router? I went into a local radio shcack and they said they didnt have them??? Should i try a different Radio shack? Or do i need to find somewhere else? "In the US"

Sumcrazyguy21 said:
Where to i get the conectors from pigtail to router? I went into a local radio shcack and they said they didnt have them??? Should i try a different Radio shack? Or do i need to find somewhere else? "In the US"
As I said, the connectors are proprietary, you will need to go somewhere other than radio shack to get them... see if there are any *real* electronics stores in your area.. ones that have all of the weird connectors that no-one has ever seen before.

Ok this is going to sound dumb I have no idea about really anything wireless. First off any recommendations on a good router, I would need both the recieving and transmiting parts. Also both need to work on desktops. Thanks for any help.

When MaximumPC did the Cantenna write up, they put in Bold letters how illegal this was. Just thought I would pass this on.

TekeTorvo said:
When MaximumPC did the Cantenna write up, they put in Bold letters how illegal this was. Just thought I would pass this on.
It's only illegal if you overpower it beyond FCC/CIRA regulations. Custom antennas aren't illegal. There is one section of the regulations that states that the antenna connectors must be proprietary. This is to make it difficult for inexperienced people to make custom antennas. If you go to the trouble of finding the proprietary connectors, you should be able to understand the power ratios and regulations, and do a little figuring to make sure your cantenna doesn't exceed the maximum broadcast power output.

However, it's very unlikely that you'll have the FCC/CIRA kicking down your door because you are 10mW over the limit because you didn't do any of the calculations, or miscalculated.

maybe if you talk to your neighbor you're getting it from and explain it they might let you? if not it's illegal, might be anyway, not sure

My appologies. It wasn't MaximumPC. It was PC Modder. The BOLD letters says, "It's against the law to attach a non-FCC-approved antenna to your access point. Build at your own risk if you still decide cantenna is the route you want to go". A can may be FDA approved, but I doubt it is FCC approved.

I agree it is very unlikely anyone will ever beat down your door. It is illegal though, and I am making sure people know that. What they do with that info is not my concern.

Last edited:
We tried to set this up, but I think you have to ground the connector to the can.

That and you cant really solder an aluminum can to a steel connector...

Hum 30 degree angle of sight. 30*12 = 360. Would it be possible to build a omni directional cantenna(From multiple cantennas - 12)?! Would love to have access to my computer in my car while on the road or at my friends house where they don't have broadband!

just put togather a cannontenna...its pretty massive..all my physics finally payed off..i calculated wavelengths yay!! anyways heres sum pics, i dont know how well it works, or if it even works because i havent hooked it up yet. still waitin on sum RPTNC connectors i got off ebay. and yes...its on a telescope stand pointing out my window. the cd is there to show you how big the barrel is, and a shot of my really bad riviting job...i was in a handicapped mood today and couldnt get em straight

peace

Attachments

• IM000806.JPG
    IM000806.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 503
  • IM000807.JPG
    IM000807.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IM000808.JPG
    IM000808.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 464
  • IM000809.JPG
    IM000809.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 464
  • IM000810.JPG
    IM000810.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 471
demortey@gmail. said:
just put togather a cannontenna...its pretty massive..all my physics finally payed off..i calculated wavelengths yay!! anyways heres sum pics, i dont know how well it works, or if it even works because i havent hooked it up yet. still waitin on sum RPTNC connectors i got off ebay. and yes...its on a telescope stand pointing out my window. the cd is there to show you how big the barrel is, and a shot of my really bad riviting job...i was in a handicapped mood today and couldnt get em straight

peace
Looks nice... but it's very long.... most people just use 3/4 wavelength, but I guess it should work on any quarter wavelength. Did you build it for a specific channel, or just for the 2.4 GHz range in general?

just 2.4 ghz...it should do any channel but i really didnt take channels into consideration..its 3 wavelength long, should be alrite tho..if it doesnt work i have lots more metal and bnc connectors. im planning on doing some expirimenting. i want it to reach my gramparents house which is about 3 miles from here because they only have dialup which is really slow...im rambelling...

peace

i have a question about the wire inside on teh end of the BNC or N or whatever coaxial connector you so choose...how do you determine how long that wire is to be, and can anyone paintbrush up a wavepattern that would be in teh can, im a little confused as to where the wave pattern would start...does it look like a sine wave, cosine wave or what...that would help alot

peace

I share a wireless connection with a friend, who lives in the same apartment building as I do, but he gets a really weak signal. I dont want to put a can-tenna on my router, as I connect to the router too, from a completely difftent direction. Is it possible to put a can-tenna on his system and improve his signal, or do I have to be beaming it right at him from my router?

if your router has 2 antennas have 1 can and 1 normal, or get onea those antenna thigns, not sure what there called at the moment, but they go in all directions

Back