• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Can-tenna

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Directional Antenna.

Outline:

Having seen these for sale at various shops I decided to save a lot of money and build one of these for my home wireless network and what with the clamp down on the misuse of work e-mail, internet and other utilities given to the employees for work related use rather than personal use I decided to build my own so that I could be a shinning example of how to beat the system and to gain maximum bragging rights at work before anyone else in the IT dept. thought of it.

I set out by reading up on wireless networks and protecting them from “War Drivers” or illegal usage and hacking and found directional aerials more secure than omni-directional aerials as the directional aerials only have a area coverage of 30 rather than 360. Also it meant that the signal would be more focused and stronger than an omni-directional. Any way with a bit of research you can work out what’s best for your needs, so lets get on with what you need and how to build it!

First off you will need to find out what aerial connections your wireless router uses whether it be TNC or SMA (Most Linksys and Cisco are TNC while DLink and Netgear tend to be SMA) But it’s best to check with your manufacture if your not sure about what connector it uses.

Ok the First thing you need to do is find a can ….yes that right a can! Now the bigger the can the better! You’re looking for a can at least 3 inches in diameter and 11 inches long, again the bigger the better. For this Job I selected a can of Pineapple pieces that I emptied into a bowl and eat while building the Antenna. Yummy! (If you use a pet food can I don’t recommend doing the same!)

Ok now on to the other bits and pieces, you will need to buy:

Pigtail cable with an N-male and the connector
(This is to attach to your access point at the other. Now remember to make note of your TNC or SMA socket on your access point it male or female as this will save you both money and a unwanted journey back to where you bought the cable!)
N-type chassis socket
12 Gauge Copper Wire
Solder and other bits and pieces

DSC01594Small.JPG

Method

The first thing you should do is remove the contense of your can and either eat it or give it to any pets you might have lying around! And then wash it out. You may even wish to remove the label but as this is a ghetto mod you might opt to have “Chunky Chops” or what ever brand you decided on as your wireless logo! The next thing to do is to either punch or drill a hole for the N-type chassis socket, I drilled mine as I didn’t want to run the risk of denting my can.

Now before you make that hole you will have to work out where to put it.

Can Diameter:

3 3¹/8 3²/8 3³/8 34/8 3⅞ 3⅝ 3⅞ 4
Distance from bottom of can
3⅞ 2⅞ 24/8 2²/8 2 2 1⅞ 16/8 16/8
Length of Can
11²/8 86/8 74/8 66/8 6²/8 5⅞ 54/8 5³/8 5¹/8

All measurements are in inches

Once you have marked where your N-type chassis socket will go make your hole just big enough for it to go through.

DSC01600Small.JPG

Now the next thing to do is to cut a piece of 12 Gauge Copper Wire to 1¹/8 of an inch I used a pencil sharpener to make one end into a point….. Don’t ask me why! Just looks good! And then solder it into the N-type chassis socket.

DSC01597Small.JPG

Now to affix it you can use a strong bonding agent like super glue, Screw it into place or solder it. It should now look like this:

DSC01605Small.JPG

Now basically you have your finished antenna although you will need to mount it on to something! I used an old Logitech web camera mount.

The other thing you can do is make it look more professional if you don’t like the ghetto look.

I bought some blue sheet plastic and cut a piece to the dimensions of the can and also removed a notch for where the N-type chassis socket joins the can.

DSC01602Small.JPG

I then used a very strong bonding agent to join it to the can and held it in place with rubber bands and left it in a warm place over night and also the next day to make sure I had a good bond.

DSC01604Small.JPG

Then once it was all set, I put it onto the tripod from the web camera and added a few stickers that I carefully pealed of an old Linksys router I had lying about….. You can see why I chose that blue now can’t you!

Ta Da! The finished piece!

DSC01608Small.JPG

Now all that’s left to do is to remove one of the antenna off the back of the wireless router and to attach the other end of the pigtail lead and you can enjoy a longer wireless connection distance and a stronger signal!

This was posted for "fccdj" in regards to his post Here

I did this mod about 6 months ago and never got round to posting it on the forums and his post inspired me to finish writting it up.

Oh yeah I forgot it gave me an extra 3 mile coverage on my network without LOS and 8 with LOS. Perfect for the offices I work at as long as i'm not in the basement or in the center of the building!

Last edited:
This is awesomely awesome. I want to try this here, but I'm afraid there is to many trees. A friend of mine in his apartment a few blocks away is stuck with dial up, even though his laptop has a wireless card. He is to far away from the school's access points to pick up a signal, and can't afford cable. I wanted to try to use one of the wireless routers in the house and do this, since I'm sitting pretty on a 100Mbit line here. For routers with 2 antenna, do I just need to disconnect 1 of them, or should I only have the can line plugged in? Does the access point on the remote side need to have a similar directional antenna as well?

Again, this is a kickin rad mod. Well done. :thup:

well you can have one antenna as the omni-directional aerial for your home wirless and then disconnect the other and fit the directional antenna pointing at your freinds PC.... you have 30 degrees of focused signal so perfect alignment isn't required.

FarEast said:
well you can have one antenna as the omni-directional aerial for your home wirless and then disconnect the other and fit the directional antenna pointing at your freinds PC.... you have 30 degrees of focused signal so perfect alignment isn't required.

Cantennas are great! :D My setup is straight line of sight. I have my cantenna mounted on an old PrimeStar satellite dish and can reach up to ten miles max, usually around six because of obstacles. :eek:

Would I need to put a similar antenna on my friends computer in order for this to work, or would it be fine without it?

Also, there is a fair amount of tree cover, as well as some buildings that would be in the way, unless I could mount this on top of a pole or something. Do you think it would still work alright?

nope mine is sat ontop of my router right now so it is beaming a signal through 2 walls (1 internal, 1 external) there are houses in the way and i still get a strong signal at the closest office i work at ...3-miles away.

Everyone's saying "I dont have a laptop"
I've got a half cantenna job on my desktop PC, I could only find the connector to go to the card, but I couldn't find the connectors to put through the can, so currently I have a wire going from the wireless card to the chassis of my PC, and it actually works okay.

It's so impossible to find decent electronics parts here, 'specially considering I can't even drive anywhere *tear*.
FarEast, any ideas where I'd get the chassis connector to put into the can?

First of all i will need to know what connector you require... as different cards or routers have differnet outputs, once i know i can locate one for you....if your unsure tell me what brand and model card you are using and i can take it from there.

im just wondering, how would one set it up on the receiving computer. i dont know much about wireless networks, but i do not understand how that part works...

you don't really need it on the receiving end...... although that would make a damn strong connection! remember all arials receive and transmit so you could remove the ariall off the PCI wireless card and attach a can anntena aimed at your can-anttena. (Can you say fried birds?)

If your asking about connection settings then he will need to join your wireless network.

Back