• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Case for Air Cooling? :O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive got a Thermaltake Xaser III.... its nice, wire managent is sorta a pain with the top usb/sound and the front lighted thing and all the stuff, but it keeps my stuff nice in cool.... warning tho, its very heavy

Valk said:
I have heard a lot of people boast about the antec 3700 case. its apparently AWSOME for aircooling.
It is only after you add a side intake.

I have had the SLK3700AMB for close to 10 months now, always running 120mm front intake and 120mm rear exhaust. Both of these fans are Vantec Stealths, and they run at about 9V, so they are as close to silent as possible. I use a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu CPU cooler, and it kept my load temps (2xF@H) around 45-48 degrees as reported by MBM5 on my Asus P4P800.

A month ago I added a 120mm side intake pointed at the CPU. RAM, and northbridge. CPU temps dropped by over 10 degrees. If I keep the CNPS7000 clean (its bowl shape is a great dust collector), my load temp is 35-36 degrees.

I think this case is great for air cooling. Like most (if not all) cases, you have to cut out the fan grills to get decent airflow. (Please, will someone make a case that comes with all wire grills? Anyone?) Work and time are minimal to make this a great air cooling case - it is large enough to accomodate 2 120mm fans, which is why I bought it. Note that without some modding the case will only fit fans that are 25mm deep.

fac_29 said:
Cool! Thanks for the pics. I think i have definitely decided on my new case :) How many fans you have with that case, for sufficient cooling?
I like that LED, looks like a PS2 :p

Man, since getting this comp a few month ago i've done nothing but upgrade it. By the time i've finished i'm gonna end up with a new PC :D

I have 2 in the back, one in the front. Using a fan in the drive bay means that the disks have to come further out of the racks which means they interfere with my PCI card and vid card RAMsinks when I try to get them out. I have a fan on the side panel also.

Temperatures are a mere 2°C above ambient inside the case.

Any case that supports 2x120mm fans will give the best noise/performance ratio. The Antec cases are very nice; I've got a Sonata and a SLK3700AMB. The Super Lanboy and P160 also look like great performers.

http://www.aerocool.us/Lubic/q.htm

these look really cool ha ha. not sure how they would be for aircoolong on silence <_< but there is no grill in them for their fans. so it would be a really smooth airflow. they look nice too.
im thinking of grabbing one for water cooling, but they are probably too heavy. i take my box on the plane with me, the like... 5lb super lanboy is so good to me.

these guys make a lot of neat stuff. iw ant some of their fans.

Back